Provided Answers: 6

Unanswered: analysis services 2012 and the ascmd.exe command line utility?

Can you still deploy to to SQL Server Analysis Services 2012 with the 2008 ascmd.exe command line utility or do you need to redo your deployments in powershell?
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 54
    If I have a choice, I use PowerShell for both versions (2008 and 2012) of Analysis Services. Is there some compelling reason that you need to use a Command Line instead of using PowerShell?

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    If I have a choice, I use PowerShell for both versions (2008 and 2012) of Analysis Services. Is there some compelling reason that you need to use a Command Line instead of using PowerShell?

-PatP
    I was trying to use the deployment code left for me. I was just handed 5 years worth of code with little hand off or documentation, and the dev and qa servers are on SQL2012 and UAT and Prod are still on 2008R2. I was having trouble moving changes because of the version difference. I got it straightened out.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 54
    I'm just being nosey, but how did you choose to straighten it out?

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    I'm just being nosey, but how did you choose to straighten it out?

-PatP
    Well what I was doing in detail, was scripting out the analysis services database using SSMS that another developer had applied his changes to on the QA server, so that I could use those xmla files, with some variables dropped in, to deploy those changes to several client specific databases in the UAT environment. So what I did to get around the version-ing hassle was have him apply his changes to one of the UAT databases and I script them out from there. The team has poor build, release and source control processes, and they need to upgrade prod and UAT, and it appears that this command line utility is being deprecated and the release will have to be done in powershell. All of this is on my list of "opportunities" I am working on with the boss.

What I did wrong in my original post was not fully state my problem with, but ask about an issue I was having with my solution of the moment.