Unanswered: Migration from MS SQL to MySQL

hello, I'm trying to migrate from MS SQL to MySQL with the mySQL workbench's migration wizard. But when I test the source DBMS connection I get an error message which is : Could not connect to source DBMS[08001][Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0]SQL Server Network Interfaces: Error Locating Server/Instance Specified [xFFFFFFFF].
    [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0]Login timeout expired
    [Microsoft][SQL Server Native Client 11.0]A network-related or instance-specific error has occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. Server is not found or not accessible. Check if instance name is correct and if SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. For more information see SQL Server Books Online.

Thank you in advance for your help

out on a limb
    Provided Answers: 59
    so check you have correctly specified the SQL Server connection.
    check you have permissions to connect to the the SQL Server instance

if you can run queries against the server from another tool then its unlikely to be a permissions issue
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

In front of the computer
    Provided Answers: 54
    In addition to the checks that healdem suggested, I'd also confirm that:

1. The Windows Service for Microsoft SQL Server is started.
    2. The machine running MySQL is able to ping the machine running Microsoft SQL Server.
    3. ODBC connections from the machine running MySQL to the SQL Server work.

In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Thank you both for your replies. Would you please give me a little more details on how to verify the checks you mentionned. I'm sorry for asking but I'm only a beginner...
    Thanks !