Question Unanswered: Migration SQL Server from Physical Host to VM

Hello,

it's my first time here, i need your help if you can

So we have:
    (1) one physical server :
    Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, File Server, Print Server and SQL Server 2005

and we will install new (2) two server for High Availability with VMware vSphere (ESXi) 6.0
    and we will have (2) two Virtual Machine :
    1st VM :
    Active Directory, DNS, DHCP

2nd VM :
    OS : Windows Server 2008 R2 (becaure SQL Server 2005 does not work with 2012 R2 link)
    SQL Server 2005 Service Pack 3

This is Schema description of what is want : Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SQL_Server.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	120.1 KB 
ID:	16422

My Question is : What is a safe method to Migrate Database's from Physical Host (Windows Server 2003) to 2nd VM ?
    Best Regards

Provided Answers: 54
    Quote Originally Posted by dzint View Post
    My Question is : What is a safe method to Migrate Database's from Physical Host (Windows Server 2003) to 2nd VM ?
    Going from SQL 2005 on the physical machine to SQL 2005 on the virtual machine is a simple backup-and-restore.

The only potential "gotcha" that I would expect is that the destination needs to be at the same patch level as the source, or at a later patch level. Windows Update is your friend!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    Going from SQL 2005 on the physical machine to SQL 2005 on the virtual machine is a simple backup-and-restore.

The only potential "gotcha" that I would expect is that the destination needs to be at the same patch level as the source, or at a later patch level. Windows Update is your friend!

-PatP
    Thank you very mutch for your fast answer, i don't know the patch level as the source, if i found patch level on physical machine, for example, SQL Server 2005 SP1, i must upgrade SP1 to SP3 before backup-and-restore the DataBase's ?

Best regards

I would simply apply every Critical or Required patch offered by Windows Update and call it good. Trying to suss out the patch level is challenging, especially since Windows 2003 blends many of the ADO and data transport patches into the Windows Server level instead of the SQL Server level.

Aside from addressing your migration challenges, that also resolves a bazzilion and six other "gotchas" that would make life obnoxious when you start to test the behavior of your server and application.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Lightbulb

Hello thank's for your answer

if I have a (2nd) second scenario:
    if I will install windows server 2012 R2 on the virtual machine, I will install SQL Server 2014, What is the best method of migration from SQL Server 2005 on physical host to SQL Server 2014 VM?

it is only a theory, which I just want to take into consideration since my first scenario (SQL Server 2005 SP3 on VM Windows Server 2008 R2) is the most safe

Best regards

As long as the source is running at least SQL 2005 sp3, you can restore the backups through SQL 2016. See https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190436.aspx for more details. Note that you can change the destination SQL version via a drop down at the top of the page.

-PatP

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    As long as the source is running at least SQL 2005 sp3, you can restore the backups through SQL 2016. See https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms190436.aspx for more details. Note that you can change the destination SQL version via a drop down at the top of the page.

-PatP
    OK thank you very mutch, it's just a théory

my first scénario is the mose safe and i will stay in this :

migrate SQL Server 2005 from Windows Server 2003 Physical Host => to => SQL Server 2003 SP3 Windows Server 2008 R2 Virtual Machine.

But before migrate, i must update windows server 2003 to latest, and i patch SQL Server 2005 level to SP3 ? or only just update windows server 2003 ?

if i patch SQL Server 2005 on physical to SP3, i will have a probleme with Database's or not ? i must stop SQL Server 2005 Service before patching ?

Best regards

I would:

1. Create a new VM
    2. Install Windows 2008 R2 on the new VM
    3. Install SQL 2005 on the new VM
    4. Window Update everything on the VM. This takes multiple passes/reboots/etc.
    5. Backup the database on the physical machine
    6. Copy the backup file to the VM
    7. Restore the backup on the VM
    8. Test, test, and then test the VM some more!
    9. Disable user access on the physical machine
    10. Backup SQL on the physical machine again
    11. Copy the most recent backup from the physical machine to the VM
    12. Restore the backup on the VM
    13. Power down or otherwise take the physical machine offline
    14. Bring up production on the VM
    15. Make a note a month from now in your calendar to decommission the physical machine.

-PatP

Lightbulb Thank you very very mutch :)

Hello it's amazing very clear explanation, thank you very mutch

i just not understand that :

9. Disable user access on the physical machine

how can i Disable User Access? don't forget, i will migrate Active Directory 2003 from physical machine to the 1st VM Windows Server 2012 R2.

Best regards

My thought is that you want to prevent users from accessing the machine so that they aren't making changes to it while or after you make the final backup, because any changes made after that backup is complete will be left on the physical machine. You can do this in many ways, such as detaching the database files (and then copying them to the VM instead of the backup files), renaming the machine itself, disconnecting the network cable, etc.

By leaving the physical machine offline but still accessible, it is there as a "fall back" in case anything bad happens during the migration.

-PatP