Unanswered: Live system: DB2 9.7 FP9 / create DB from backup

Live system: DB2 9.7 FP9
    Test server: DB2 10.5 FP5

I just got thrown from DB2 9.7 FP9 into DB2 10.5 FP5--replete with its absentee Control Center. I am trying to figure out how to create a new 10.5 DB from a 9.7 backup. The menu items in the Data Studio all seem to have to do with connecting to existing DB's, the backing up & restoring those. But that is not my migration situation. I copied a backup of my live 9.7 DB to my DB2 10.5 server, but with the new IBM Data Studio in place of the familiar DB2 Control Center, I am having a hard time finding out how to restore the DB onto the new server then upgrade the DB from 9.7 to 10.5

Yes...I know...I could use the command-line, and that is probably where I will head next, although that may lead me to a similar question...but surely someone else has had to deal with the issue here.

Provided Answers: 6
    Actually I've never tried to do a restore or backup from DS as I've always tended to do that stuff from the command line or a generic script. I think you will find that the command line will be a faster alternative
    an example of a restore to another db.
    db2 "RESTORE DATABASE databaseA FROM '/db2/db2_data/backup/keep' taken at yyyymmddhhmmss ON '/db2/db2_data/db2inst1/databaseB/data' DBPATH ON '/db2/db2_data/db2inst1/databaseB/data' INTO databaseB newlogpath '/db2/db2_data/db2inst1/databaseB/logs' "

That's presuming that you are using linux/unix
    Andy

"All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can’t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use hammer.” — IBM maintenance manual, 1975 "

I did use the command-line just after I posted. I just do not spend a lot of time with the CLP (I do a LOT of other things besides DBA duties), so I get rusty on syntax between events, and the DB2 5 through 9 Control Center made it quite simple, providing a GUI where I could simply click "Create Database from Backup", then browse to a backup or enter the information manually. And then it did a pretty good job of monitoring the process until done (unlike the CLP, which just sticks until done).

I was just hoping to find a similar function in DS to help save time. Speed is not related to just a single instance of a single command, where that single command is obviously simpler in the CLP than going through a GUI. Over time, speed is more related to the overall time required to return again and again to command-line tools compared to the simplicity of a right-click an drilldown to get the same thing. I just have too many different duties to retain DB2-specific syntax when I used to have a GUI; still, when there is no GUI, I will just keep bits of syntax documentation on hand. Kind of like going from Windows 2003 with everything in the GUI to Windows 2012 with PowerShell--very powerful stuff using PowerShell scripts, but a bit of a feeling like I am going back to NT/2000, where I had to spend a lot more time using memorized commands.

And this is Windows, so my syntax was this: restore db <DBName> From C:\<Path to backup> taken at <BackupDateTimeString> without prompting

Provided Answers: 6
    If you want to pursue this with the DS developers this is the forum
    https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/c...0-000000001086
    Andy

"All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can’t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use hammer.” — IBM maintenance manual, 1975 "