inexperienced question about what platform to use

Hi folks

Looking for some advice, I have some experience of databases, but no real expertise...

The people I work for are a training provider, and need a database solution to keep track of the following:

- training courses we set up
    - venues for the training
    - attendees at the training, details captured when they book
    - evaluation data from the attendees after the training

we'd need to be able to pull off reports such as: seeing one individual with a summary of all the different courses he's attended, along with his evaluation data for each of those courses

Just wondering what's the modern, easy way to do this? Database needs to be accessed by people in different remote locations. What system is best to use for this?

Grateful for any advice!

Alex.

I foolishly neglected to mention that it would need to be Windows AND Mac compatible, as users would have a mix of machines....

Quote Originally Posted by Mudchild View Post
    I foolishly neglected to mention that it would need to be Windows AND Mac compatible, as users would have a mix of machines....
    Put your app on a web server, that way any machine with a browser can use it! Drupal and XOOPS are both good choices, and if your needs are simple enough Joomla may be sufficient.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Thanks! Does one simply by a package for this from somewhere? Any recommendations? Forgive my ignorance...

The quickest and cheapest answer is to put the project out for bid, then hire a consultant. This can have you a working result in a very short timeframe but costs mone to bring someone in to do the job for you.

The tools needed to do this type of project can be Open Source with zero out of pocket cost, but those require a significant level of expertise to use. That expertise costs both time and money to acquire. If you have no experience developing, the best that you can hope for is about three months of hard work to become productive enough for a simple project.

For a business product, you may be better off using a commercial development tool. These have shorter learning times, but involve significant up front cost (550-5000 US Dollars).

If you hire a consultant, you can get simple solutions like what you've described so far running in a day to a month, and depending on the consultant the cost can be minimal.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.