Unanswered: Replace character

Hi,

DB2 9.1 z/os

In the below two strings
    Code:
    1.  ABCD1EFGH&IJ{KL

2.  MN2P@QRST[UV5

I need a query to get a result for only alphabets and other than alphabets need to replace with space.

The input string may be having Junk characters also

Expected result

Code:
    ABCD EFGH IJ KL

MN P QRST UV

Thanks,

Provided Answers: 6
    I believe you could use XQUERY in 10 and I think 9.1 on z/os is EOS anyway so a move to a supported version would give you a heap of extra function
    Andy

"All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can’t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use hammer.” — IBM maintenance manual, 1975 "

Provided Answers: 6
    In fact the XQUERY statement would be something like ..............
    update tab1 set c1 = xmlcast(xmlquery('fn:replace($C1,''[\~\@\%\^\*\(\)\{\}\?\[\]\`\<\>\,\.\:\;\+\=\_\-\$\#\!\&amp;0123456789]'', " ")') as varchar(20)) where xmlcast(xmlquery('fn:matches($C1,''[^a-zA-Z]'')') as integer) = 1

I'm sure someone can tidy that up
    Andy

"All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can’t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use hammer.” — IBM maintenance manual, 1975 "