Provided Answers: 2

Answered: Stopping Execution of Scripting Within Brilliant Database

I have some lengthy analyses on my project which can take 40 minutes or more to run. Occasionally, I press a button that I did not intend on pressing and this action basically locks on my computer for many minutes so that the script I accidentally activated runs to completion. I know that I can 'Ctrl+Alt+Delete' to force Brilliant Database to close but I would like a cleaner method, if possible. Is it possible and is there any scripting that I can add that will allow me to exit any current script with a press of a key on the keyboard?
    Daryl G

2. Best Answer
    Posted by tamcind

"Hi asokram
    Made a basic example of stopping script with clipboard (used "ss" in if check script but would use something not likely to type normally). Although a not something you might use regularly it only takes a few seconds to fire up notepad and copy the exit text to clipboard. Handy when experimenting with loops.
    Can do similar thing with windows clock but not recomended
    Regards
    David"

Hi Daryl
    Have not used BD for a while now (too many other things happening including recent trip around Europe - great except for long haul flight from Australia).
    In answer to your question I seem to recall that I had similar problem to you and included a "if" statement in script (you have some sort of loop?) that checked the clipboard and if contained the appropriate letters, it would exit script. Some time ago now but fairly sure it worked for me.
    Just some thing you may like to experiment with.
    If Version 11 ever arrives and is big improvement I may rekindle my interest in BD but at moment spend my time on other things.
    Regards
    David

David,
    Yes, I am using loops. Some of the scripts have several individual loops and nested loops. I suspect that I could use an 'If' statement in the loops but I would have to add it in a lot of places. I was hoping that there was a keyboard button (like the 'Break' button in Visual Basic for Application that would stop the program's execution - unfortunately not all keyboards have the 'Break' button plus I do not think that it would work here anyway). One operation I use takes two days to run - yes, an entire weekend and I may need to stop the operation prematurely without having to use the 'Windows Task Manager' to shut down BD.

I, too, am on the fence with Brilliant Database... sometimes I love it and other times I curse it because it does not consistently yield proper results. If ALL the known bugs were actually fixed in version 11, I would truly be tempted to get it but there are too many strange behaviors present that have been (repeatedly) reported yet continue to exist in the latest version.
    Daryl G

Provided Answers: 17
    I can't think of a way to break from something accidental started.

Would it not be better to simply add an “If Confirm” action to the button. At least this way if you pressed it by accident it won't run until you click Yes from the menu that just popped up.

It sounds like a huge programme. I'd love to have the time to sit down and figure out what it is you have written that takes 40 minutes to run. It would be interesting to see if that time could be greatly reduced.

Regards
    James.

I have added the confirmation feature and while it does prevent accidentally starting script execution, I am still troubled by the fact that sometimes I need to exit from script execution after it has already started (not by accident).

I would love to be able to reduce the time required for running the program... it has become a beast!!!
    Daryl G

Personally I feel BD is not suitable for such a great query.If you are using in the network such a complex script it will be nightmare.I appreciate your patience to wait such a longtime for testing.My experience is when large number of records involved in selection and loop it takes a lot of time. For the same number of records if html processing involved it is much quicker.

David, I am intrested to know how to check the content in the clipboard through query.

Regards
    asokram

Hi asokram
    Made a basic example of stopping script with clipboard (used "ss" in if check script but would use something not likely to type normally). Although a not something you might use regularly it only takes a few seconds to fire up notepad and copy the exit text to clipboard. Handy when experimenting with loops.
    Regards
    David
    Attached Files Attached Files

Provided Answers: 17
    Hi David.
    Very clever. Well done. I never even new that System Variable existed.

I can see it now and I must look through everything else on that system list.

Regards
    James
    Last edited by Tubbritt; 07-11-15 at 21:52.

Quote Originally Posted by tamcind View Post
    Hi asokram
    Regards
    David
    Thank you David! Very nice example.
    Really overlooked clipboard variable exists!

Regards
    Asokan.

Lightbulb

David,
    I give you a big golden star for this! Granted, as you said, this may not be something you use regularly, however, there are circumstances where such a feature is needed (as in the case that made me start this thread). I would much rather use your clipboard method than forcing a complete shut down with 'Crtl+Alt+Delete'. Before seeing your solution, I could not imagine an application for the clipboard variable - there are many great users here who are certainly 'thinking outside of the box'!
    Daryl G