Provided Answers: 2

Answered: Users and Access - Allowing 'Clients' to Empty Recycle Bin

Part of my project involves removing records from folders and temporarily keeping these records in an archived folder. Later, these archived records are deleted and they go to the 'Recycle Bin'. I would like for the user (a 'Client' therefore a non-Administrator) to be able to Empty the Recycle Bin to complete the process. I have been going through 'Users and Access' privileges and, through trial and error, see that the 'Folder' menu is the one that allows the 'Empty Recycle Bin' to be seen on screen when non-Administrators are using the database; however, attempting to Empty Recycle Bin results in a message appearing that states "To complete this operation you must have administrator rights". How can I grant the ability to Empty Recycle Bin to Clients in Brilliant Database? Note that the 'Record' menu has 'delete records' checked.
    Daryl G

2. Best Answer
    Posted by fireant911

"I am discovering all these capabilities that I did not realize. Scripting does not let me change what is needed (it looks like you can 'change access rights' but that does not help with the issue). However, the 'item owner' can be changed under the access level for the folder(s) in question. I am using three users - Administrator, IT Department, and Staff. The Administrator and IT Departments are the only ones that will deleting records so by changing the owner to IT Department (which is password protected) seems to work perfectly! In this fashion the program will not permit the 'Staff' from removing any records."

Provided Answers: 17
    Hi Daryl.

Is there a need to move them to the recycle bin in the first place? Why not simply change the default method of the delete action to “completely delete records” instead of moving them to the recycle bin.

Regards
    James

James,
    That was my earlier approach. There is a bug in Brilliant Database when doing this ('Delete Record(s)'). I tried looking up an older thread here that explained the weird activity that occurred but I cannot search the older threads for some reason???
    Daryl G

You simply hide this recycle bin in the compiled application! And as james suggested use button with scripts in tool bar to empty the records. User can delete the records even in network mode through scripts.

Regards
    Asokan.

asokram,
    I am using only the professional version so I cannot compile (I still cannot justify paying $1799 US for a product that still has some major issues).

I found the old thread where the issue with 'Delete Record(s)' was detailed - http://www.dbforums.com/showthread.p...uery-Scripting. I am wondering why I can grant access for a Client to delete records but NOT to empty the recycle bin; however,it is still possible for the Client to delete those records in the Recycle Bin... just not empty the recycle bin??? I am staying far, far away from the 'Delete Record(s)' action because its behavior is not correct (this may have changed in v10.54 but not in v10.5).

Clarification: I looked further and discovered that, no, I cannot actually delete individual records if I signed in as a Client even though I have granted the Clients access to 'Delete Record(s)'. The 'Delete Record(s)' script is not functional for Clients either!!! Just as I discover that new functionality is available and get REAL excited, I find out that additional problems/bugs exist in Brilliant Database - the potential of this program is huge but, for now, the required work-a-rounds are many. As much as I would like to purchase the Ultimate version, I keep discovering this issues which, for me, are deal breakers. I am sure that this program will work well in many cases, it is just proving that it cannot work well in mine...
    Last edited by fireant911; 07-10-15 at 19:25. Reason: clarification
    Daryl G

Just doing some tests here and there's an easy workaround here.

Directly deleting records seem to be an issue of Ownership of the records. If a person with Administrator access created the record in the first place, then nobody with lower access can delete it. To be fair, that makes sense.

Technically what's missing is the means for an end user to take ownership of the record, so it's only a matter of figuring out a way around that problem. Which is easy.

There mere fact your running this over a server means that the copy installed in the Server is going to be logged in as Administrator. So all you need to do is use a Timer to empty the recycle bin when every you want it to.

For example, a user works away all day long, deletes records and they get moved into the recycle bin. At at 12am that night you night the copy running on the server logged in as Administrators runs a Timer set to simply empty the recycle bin.

You could even say this workaround is actually a good idea as it gives someone the day to change their mind. So now it's a feature, not a bug. lol..

Regards
    James

James,
    Prior to reading your reply, I was experimenting with changing the either the 'Owner' or 'Access' of the records. I could conceptually change this upon the importation phase of the project since scripting is already run at this point to ensure that the required fields are completed and that realistic data exists in those fields. That may work, however, I have not completed testing this option.

You have much more knowledge than I do with Brilliant Database and I know nothing about the server aspect - my total experience with Brilliant Database is based on a stand-alone, non-networked computer. So, I have no idea about how it would actually be setup in the real world. The deleting of files is maintenance that would be performed once on an annual basis. I do not want to give the users 'Administrator' rights since I want to maintain ownership of the scripting. With that said, another option is for me to physically travel to their location once a year to delete the old records but that is a long, two-hour drive.

Your solution sounds quite workable but my lack of knowledge in that area coupled with my ownership of only the non-Ultimate version may prevent me from testing this out. I will attempt these changes and investigate further.

As always, thank you for your time, support, and ever-giving guidance!
    Daryl G

Hi Daryl.
    As always I'd be happy to create a sample file for you to look at if this timer function is something you think you can use.

Regards
    James.

James,
    Yes, I would be very appreciative of that!
    Daryl G

I am discovering all these capabilities that I did not realize. Scripting does not let me change what is needed (it looks like you can 'change access rights' but that does not help with the issue). However, the 'item owner' can be changed under the access level for the folder(s) in question. I am using three users - Administrator, IT Department, and Staff. The Administrator and IT Departments are the only ones that will deleting records so by changing the owner to IT Department (which is password protected) seems to work perfectly! In this fashion the program will not permit the 'Staff' from removing any records.
    Daryl G