Provided Answers: 2

Answered: Concerns with the Accuracy and Validity of Brilliant Dtatabase's User's Guide

I now suspect that either I have a reading deficiency OR many of the directions in the Brilliant Database User's Guide are clearly wrong and invalid. Just this morning, I reference the guide for two things:

1). Under the 'Users and Access' section I read the following: "Block edit of the folder structure - if this check box is selected, the user cannot change the existing structure of folders in the database, that is, create, delete, move folders or change folder properties." If I have this checked for a Client user and when I am logged in as a 'Client' user, selecting 'Add Folder' from the title bar will easily permit adding a folder... For my project, 'Clients' should not be adding any folders and, according to the preceding instructions, creating folders should NOT be permitted yet this is done with relative ease.

2). In the User's Guide, section named 'Features' the notes states: "All options are divided into 6 sections as they are located in the main menu of the program. If you disable some feature, it will disappear from the menu and will not be available by the standard means; though you will still be able to execute it from the script. For example, if you disable the "Record->Delete Record(s)" feature, in the compiled program:

The "Record->Delete Record(s)" menu item will disappear.
    Selected records will not be deleted from the active list of records when the Delete key is pressed.
    But if there is the "Delete Record(s)" action in some script, it will be executed."
    This also clearly does not work.. I have functional script that deletes records ONLY when the Administrator is logged on and absolutely refuses to work when signed on as a 'Client'. I even have 'Delete record' checked under 'Record menu' for the 'Group Features' but, alas, it will not do it! Instead, the following message appears, "You must be the owner of the record "*name of record*" or have administrator rights to delete it. Operation cancelled."

Seriously, am I missing something here? Am I not understanding what is written? Are these feature only designed to work in the Ultimate version of Brilliant Database because these two inquiries from this morning certainly defy the rules? Why do I continue to have difficulty after difficulty with this program?
    Daryl G

2. Best Answer
    Posted by Tubbritt

"Hi Daryl.

All that sounds right.

Your looking at your database with the Server Edition. To see how things will really look, your meant to run that on the actual Server and Users then login to it with Workplace Edition. It's at that point they will only see what you allowed them to see from the point of view of hiding menus and so on.

Regards
    James."

Provided Answers: 17
    Hi Daryl.

All that sounds right.

Your looking at your database with the Server Edition. To see how things will really look, your meant to run that on the actual Server and Users then login to it with Workplace Edition. It's at that point they will only see what you allowed them to see from the point of view of hiding menus and so on.

Regards
    James.

Provided Answers: 2
    James,
    It took me quite a bit of testing and experimentation to properly set up the 'User's and Access' parameters (as well as the other necessary adjustments required). At face value, they seemed to be rather straightforward; however, these parameters alone would still not permit the functions that the privileges that I assigned.
    Daryl G