Unanswered: Brilliant Database released their WideDB Beta for testing!

Hello there,

Has anybody tested Brilliant Database's new online database system?

I would like know what you think of the new service?

Thanks!
    Mohammed

Provided Answers: 17
    Hello.
    Yes, I've been testing it. I find it very good to be honest. It's limited in it's flexibility and function, but what it does do, it does very well. It's easy to use and very productive.

I've also done some tests on writing an Android and iOS App to pull the website service inside a native app, making it appear like the App is fully integrated with the service. This has worked extremely well for me.

The down side to the service right now seems to be that it's just limited in what it can do. You also can't have different projects, and I also saw no way to backup a project or upload a previously saved one. It's early days yet though so maybe as the service develops it will offer much more.

My biggest fear though is the entire service is dependant on Brilliant Database Host. The terms of service also state that they can pretty much shut down the service without notice. Which is exactly what they have done in the past with “Do My App”.

Regards
    James.

Hi James,

Glad to hear that the service is easy to use and productive. I will give it a try as well.

My biggest fear is also its dependent on Brilliant Database Host. I hope we can host the service ourselves. Otherwise, I can only use the service for testing purpose considering past experience such as "Do My App".

Thanks
    Mohammed

I have some (actually quite a lot) of bad experiences working with hosted solutions from one man bands through to quite large set-ups but in different fields.

You are promised the earth but once your money is in their bank account, what are you going to do when the system crashes or he decides to put the price up dramatically, or he doesn't pay HIS bills with the data center and your network goes down, or he does an upgrade on the live servers and brings the whole lot down?

My company has experienced all of these issues over the years (many of them related to just one company that we had committed a 2500 PC network to because our client insisted that the software had the functionality that they needed.
    Not our fault thank God but our client went bust as a result!!

If we cannot get replies, support or even accurate release dates for software that we've bought (but at least have in our hands and can usually find a way of fudging a solution either alone or with the the great minds on this forum), what are you going to do with a hosted solution which is totally in the hands of someone who never seems to respond or keep to his own deadlines? If there is a major bug, or there is a fundamental weakness in something your business or client is totally reliant on being fixed or your client demands 24x7 reliability and the servers crash but you cant get any responses from Brilliant as seems to be the case form all I read on this forum, then I suggest that either you, your client or both are going to be in a great deal of trouble and sadly, as we discovered, our supplier either didn't respond either or hid behind his License terms & Conditions and the small print.

Basically, you are on your own!!!!

Provided Answers: 17
    Sad but true.

Regards
    James.

Provided Answers: 1
    i hate this stuff whant a v11 instead