Thread: Reporting

Unanswered: Reporting

Hello-

I use a product that uses Postgres as its database. I need to be able to create some reports from the database and need a recommendation on an open-source report writing product. Any suggestions?

Provided Answers: 54
    Almost all of the reporting packages that I know of support PostgreSQL to some degree.

If you are using a reporting package now, check to see if it supports PostgreSQL. If your package supports PostgreSQL, then use what you already have/know.

If you aren't using any reporting package at the moment, pick one that sounds like a good fit and confirm that the package supports the version of PostgreSQL that you want to use.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Hi Pat-

I was hoping to get a more definitive answer. I'm not using any reporting package now nor do I know any of the ones that are available.

What platform are you using (Linux, Max, Windows, etc.), what version or versions, and what tools do you use on a regular basis? There are so many reporting tools that are available that without something to guide me I could name 60 or more, about ten of which might work, and two or three of them might be good fits... I need some help from you in order to narrow the field down to a more manageable set.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    What platform are you using (Linux, Max, Windows, etc.), what version or versions, and what tools do you use on a regular basis? There are so many reporting tools that are available that without something to guide me I could name 60 or more, about ten of which might work, and two or three of them might be good fits... I need some help from you in order to narrow the field down to a more manageable set.

-PatP
    Platform is Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit
    Postgres version 9.4.4

I don't use any tools. I run an application that stores stuff in Postgres and I find that I need to get some reporting that isn't provided by the software vendor.

Sorry, I'm not asking the question well enough. When you use your computer, you use some kind of tools. Ubuntu offers many flavors such as Open Office, Calibre, FireFox, etc. when it comes "out of the box" and you can add thousands more applications/tools/widgets that do almost anything.

To think about my question another way, what are the top 3-6 programs that you use every week on your Ubuntu system? These form a familiar environment, with some commonality in terms of commands and user interfaces. I'm trying to understand what you like or already know in order to help you pick a reporting package that will be easy to use and intuitive for you.

-PatP

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    Sorry, I'm not asking the question well enough. When you use your computer, you use some kind of tools. Ubuntu offers many flavors such as Open Office, Calibre, FireFox, etc. when it comes "out of the box" and you can add thousands more applications/tools/widgets that do almost anything.

To think about my question another way, what are the top 3-6 programs that you use every week on your Ubuntu system? These form a familiar environment, with some commonality in terms of commands and user interfaces. I'm trying to understand what you like or already know in order to help you pick a reporting package that will be easy to use and intuitive for you.

-PatP
    Again, I don't use any tools on it. It is a softswitch and it stores, among other things, call detail records in the Postgres database. I need to build daily reports showing call usage of a subset of users.