Provided Answers: 6

Unanswered: Thoughts on using MACRO TOOLS

I'm a rookie at VBA, just using it in Access to primary add some light to moderate functionality to forms. I've found using the Macro Tools can work as well for certain features, like pointing focus back to cells if they select a header or small stuff like that where I really don't know the object library or the syntax well enough to write that in VBA.

Is this a major snafu to use this utility or is it the same risk as using VBA with less flexibility etc?

I don't use macros myself, but they've come a long way and I wouldn't argue against them in the situations you describe.
    Paul

Provided Answers: 59
    virtually no user / developer can avoid using macro's. And sometimes a macro is the the only way to do something
    but macro's arent' as portable as VBA code, and aren't as felxible (its tricky to build in say error checking, and ro 'intelligent' defaults with a macro. but some parts of Access are macros, and soemtimes macros are a good way of stringing together logical parcels of work
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

I must be the exception to the rule, because I rarely use macros. About the only time is an autoexec macro to call a VBA function in automated apps. Other than autoexec and autokeys, when is a macro the only way to do something?
    Paul

Provided Answers: 19
    Quote Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
    I must be the exception to the rule, because I rarely use macros.
    Not really! I spend 8 hours a day here, and on four or five other Access forums, and have done so for the past ten years, being in forced retirement, and there are very few experienced developers that use macros, other than the two instances you describe. If they work for you...that's fine; to each his own! But they tend to be too rigid in how they'll allow you to do things, and make it too difficult to scan through the workings behind Forms. With code, you have everything right there, in the IDE, while with Macros you have to open each and every one, individually, which can be very time consuming, especially if you're trying to track down a bug .

My take on this thread, though, was that the OP was asking specifically about Macro Tools, which I assume is a utility, as opposed to Macros in general.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Provided Answers: 59
    sorry, terminology. I rarely use macro's as in user written macro's. but we all use macros' upplied by Microsoft themselves,
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 14
    Same here. Except for AutoExec and AutoKeys, I never use macros.
    Last edited by Sinndho; 07-23-15 at 06:27. Reason: Uncomplete sentence.
    Have a nice day!