Unanswered: Brand New User - Difficulty with radio buttons on questionnaire form

Hi all-

I am a first time access user and have been asked to create a database. The information is sensitive so I will need to provide it in a very generic format.

I need to create a questionnaire form and I'm not sure how to go about it. I want the Y,N, and N/A to be radio buttons. I have created the radio buttons, but need to link them to a specific task. Task is a field name with the all of the tasks listed in the field. From what I've read putting each task as a field name is a recipe for disaster.

It should look like this:

Stage 1 (This can just be a text box)
    Task A Yes No N/A
    Task B Yes No N/A

Stage 2
    Task C Yes/No/N/A

and so forth

The problem that I'm running into is if I just create an option group with the radio buttons and tie it to the task field we cannot report on how well we are performing on a specific task. For instance, if I want to know what % of the time we correctly do Step A I cannot do it simply with the combo box and a label.
    I also want to note that I will be creating a calculated field based on the radio buttons: Specifically, if the answer is 'No' points will be deducted. We will probably be updating this form over time and want something that can be changed without ruining everything.

Where do I post this?
    What should I do?

Provided Answers: 23
    You can assign a numeric value to the radio button.
    Set the NO btn to -7 or your negative value you need.

out on a limb
    Provided Answers: 59
    for a questionaire model:-
    using radio buttons is no bad idea, as ranman says you can assign a numeric value to the radio buttons, and the option group will use that value when stored in the db.

depending how the app is to be used there are different techniques. if its a small userbase and probably results put in slowly by individual users,then having something that looks pretty (using radio buttons and so on may be fine),
    if you are using data entry typists to 'bang in' results from say a paper then radio groups and prettiness count for nothing, what matters is speed of data entry. in that case use a single text box for each question and get the users to type in a numeric value (eg 0 = N/A, 1 = NO, 3 = Yes).

you can get back to the 'real' data by using IIF's to reprocess the data in a query.

if you use combo boxes, list boxes and radio buttons/option groups then your data can be validated as you do the data entry and you know the values are good. if you use the text box approach and data entry banging in a single number per question then you need to enforce data validation (either in the form [control or form before insert] and or the table [ as part of the column definition)

dont be tempted to give column names longwinded names such as "task A completed", instead use, say Q01 (or Q001 if there may be 100 or more questions)
    mind you you should also take note of the the Access rteserved words and symbols and not use those in your tabel and column names (so no spaces in columns/tables).

one reason to be terse with your column names is that the eye is very good at spotting patterns so calling columns Q001,Q002 and so on is easier to spot (certain ) typos allowing you to copy and paste fragments of queries

say you have a table with the responses as a single (integer value)

select iif(q1 = 0,1,0) as Q1_NotApplciable,iif(q1 = 1,1,0) as Q1_False,iif(q1 = 2,1,0) as Q1_True....

then use that query as the feedstock into your summary
    select sum(q1_NotApplicable) as sum_q1_NA, sum(q1_False) as sum_q1_F, sum(q1_True) as sum_q1_T.....

then in a form or report, or query if you prefer
    %respondents = ((sum_q1_t + sum_q1_f) / (sum_q1_t + sum_q1_f + sum_q1_Na)) * 100.0
    %true = (sum_q1_t) / (sum_q1_t + sum_q1_f + sum_q1_Na)) * 100.0
    %false = (sum_q1_F) / (sum_q1_t + sum_q1_f + sum_q1_Na)) * 100.0
    %Not applicable = (sum_q1_Na) / (sum_q1_t + sum_q1_f + sum_q1_Na)) * 100.0
    and so on

similarly you can assign a value to a multi choice quetion. often you will se quetiosn such as
    Q5: How helpful did you find dbForums
    not relevant (0)
    Not at all (1)
    slightly helpful (2)
    reasonably helpful
    fairly helpful
    pretty helpful
    very helpful (6)

in this case when you do your summarising
    select iif(q5= 0,1,0) as q5-Notapplicable, ....... iif(q5 = 6,1,0) as Q5_VeryHelpful

..and so on.

the only caveat is that a single MS Access query cannot have (IRRC) more than 255 items, its acutally a few thigns less than that. so if you have say 40 questions with six responses then thats 240 columns in your analysis query. if you have say 30 questions with 10 responses then you'd need to split that into analysis into 2 queries to make certain you are under the limit

its also a pig to do the initial queries that do the reformatting, but it is a trade off between data entry speed and accuracy (that must be as fast as possible every time), against time taken to develop, test, debug the query which happens only once

In my dim and distant past I did a customer services questionaire, with IIRC 200+ questions mix of yes / no, multi choice and so on. which required breaking up into lots of analysis queries. being able to use copy & paste for the IIf's was an absolute godsend.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 23

out on a limb
    Provided Answers: 59
    tradition matters doodly squat when you are developing your system these are not definitive values but a way of mapping a user response to some form of backing storage

you can argue the case as many way as you prefer
    heck you could be even more traditional and presume its a boolean tri state value (yes/no/no answer), which in VBA would be -1 true, 0 false, and anything else not set.

you could argue just as effectively that -1 = No, 0 = NA 1 = true (or -anything = no, 0 = na, plus anything = true). As I say it doesn't actually matter as long as the IP is consistent in what he/she does

but it really dosn't matter as long as the OP undedrstands the reasoning behind his choice of values
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton