Unanswered: Need help with IT Equipment Asset Database

Hello, 1st post to forum and a relative "novice" when it comes to database design and creation. I am a LAN Analyst (new position for me) and I am trying to come up with a better way to track and run reports based on the IT Equipment my City has (PC's, Laptops, Tablets, Monitors (1 or Dual), Printers, Scanners, etc...

Currently, I am on my 4th attempt at trying to create a workable database. A commercial product wont work as I don't have a budget for it. THe City previous IT personnel used Excel Spreadsheets and it is hard to run a report off of a spreadsheet. I have made separate tables for the Employees, PC's, 1st Monitor, 2nd Monitor, Scanner. In the tables I have created field in each for PC Asset# (to relate the attached devices) and employee name. I was hoping to be able to run reports off of using the Asset # and employee name, so I can when the equipment is due to be replaced/refreshed. It would help during budgeting, so, I can quickly show my superiors what needs to be replaced each fiscal year.

I have tried creating a report, query and manually designing either and keeps failing on me. The first stumbling block is that I can't even update all of the table together using the asset # or employee name. So, I know that the reports will fail as they are not connecting the data together.

The reason the I broke the equipment into separate tables is that each may be purchased at different times/years. I could be wrong, but it should help with normalization. I would appreciate any help or information. I may have to give up and still try to use a spreadsheet, ugh!

Thanks for taking a look.

Provided Answers: 23
    I put EVERYTHING in 1 table. I didnt want to search different things,
    every equpment has
    EqType : PC, monitor, Laptop, Fax, etc
    purch date

plus various fields for specific things like PC may have a IP, but monitor will not.
    Just put it all in 1 table.

Then you just swap out ownerID from the Empoyee table.

out on a limb
    Provided Answers: 59
    look at using the sub/supertype model
    if your other dtaa is static and you dont' require to search on it then consider using the EAV model
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton