Provided Answers: 6

Lightbulb Answered: Have you done anything like this before?

Go out to multiple databases, some OLTP and other Data marts and write queries to shape your sets of data into something that can be joined and updated or inserted into a report table.

The effort that goes into this is crazy, just the thought process and testing of the updates/insert alone is maddening. Dropping temp tables and back up tables for the test etc.

I feel like I am really drinking water out of a fire hose at the moment. I'm not freaking I have a grasp on this but not a good one.

Is this what it's really all about? Is this what takes you from a 60,000 employee and turns you into a 90,000 dollar employee?

Sorry brain dead from SQLING all day.

Thanks for any return conversation.
    Last edited by VLOOKUP; 07-30-15 at 17:32.

2. Best Answer
    Posted by Pat Phelan

"What you're encountering trying to build these queries is the precursor to building a data warehouse. This is actually a well researched field, with two strong schools of thought that are distinctly different but both are logically consistent and produce good results.

One school of thought is lead by William (Bill) Inmon. The other is lead by Ralph Kimball. Google their books for far more insight than you ever wanted into this process! The resulting chaos will do you good! You might specifically consider http://smile.amazon.com/Microsoft-Da...dp/0470640383/ since I think that is pretty narrowly targeted at your areas of interest.

There is also a full on crap-ton of BI content on the http://bi.sqlpass.org/ site, on PluralSight, various SQL Saturday sites, and other places scattered across the net.

-PatP"

Provided Answers: 54
    What you're encountering trying to build these queries is the precursor to building a data warehouse. This is actually a well researched field, with two strong schools of thought that are distinctly different but both are logically consistent and produce good results.

One school of thought is lead by William (Bill) Inmon. The other is lead by Ralph Kimball. Google their books for far more insight than you ever wanted into this process! The resulting chaos will do you good! You might specifically consider http://smile.amazon.com/Microsoft-Da...dp/0470640383/ since I think that is pretty narrowly targeted at your areas of interest.

There is also a full on crap-ton of BI content on the http://bi.sqlpass.org/ site, on PluralSight, various SQL Saturday sites, and other places scattered across the net.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Wait until you see what is required of you when your salary goes well beyond that.

Don't worry. After a while you become this old bad ass no one wants to mess with or bother with trivial matters and they leave you alone to do what you see as necessary. far past when everyone else your age has burned out of the craft.

The most important things are to remain calm and confident, and manage expectations in such a way that you never under deliver on what you promise.everything is just breaking down the problem one piece at a time.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 54
    Thinking about SQL Saturdays, http://www.sqlsaturday.com/402/sessions/schedule.aspx is about Indianapolis which is 2015-08-08. That might be a good place for you to get a handle on some of these challenges. Kerry Tyler will be speaking there, and many of the other speakers routinely deal with these kind of problems.

I'll forewarn you that your first SQL Saturday will REALLY feel like drinking from the fire hose, but I think that you'll love it!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

8-8 my birthday I'll talk to my misses too see if she wants to make a trip.

I bought Murach's development book and have the Kimball book on order, in addition to those two training courses we discussed Pat(Cursors, SP, Triggers, etc). (2) 2 day courses.

So the work effort and different forms of exposure hopefully helps me reinforce the knowledge. Eventually I would like to transition out of a Business Analyst and take on a SQL analyst position. That may be the next move, but I hate job hopping so I'll stay here for a WHILE. We do have internal positions, but those teams work with Teradata, not SSMS.

Thanks for the follow up all I really appreciate it!
    Last edited by VLOOKUP; 07-31-15 at 10:58.