Provided Answers: 1

Answered: problem with windows 8 and my app

guys this is my worst day with brilliant:

i have been developing a huge app during the last 3 years i have develop it and test it in anproduction envaironment for one year, always under winows xp and win 7, today i was installing it to my first payed client, he uses win 8... and i got this error at the beginning just before i typed the password and user... :

run time error 13
    type mismatch

then, i tryed to run my app from command line without running the timers at the begining, whit the same output...

then i installed my app again in win 7 and it worked

i also tryed to run the app in win 8, usin the compatibility mode to win7 and win xp with no luck, also i run the app with administrator privileges. no luck

please any ideas are super welcomed.... pleas this are 3 years of hard work to throw them away

best regards from mexico

fer

2. Best Answer
    Posted by ferslash

"James and lostdb:

Thanks a lot for your comments.

James: i tryed the visualbasic stuff, with no luck....

but.... yesterday at 1:00 am at night, i finally found the solution... i will post in the good practice tread, but i commet here just in case some one can use the solution...

The proble is that if you compile your appliction, using the autobackup fuction build in brilliant checked to yes, and a directory that points to a directory in your computer, when you try to run the compiled application in windows 8 and 8.1 you will have a "run time error 13 type mismatch".
    when you re-compile your app, whitout the autobackup selectec to yes, you will have no problem at all"

guys thanks a lot, i got the scare of my life

fer from mexico"

Brilliantdatabase has parts written with Visual Basic 6.
    I don't know if VB6 is compatible with Windows 8, 8.1 and 10.

Windows 8 has some parts missing. Windows 8.1 could be better.

Sure to use Windows 8 and not 8.1?

bad luck again... it is 8.1 ;(

i woul like to try windows 10, in that case i could say, my app run with every version of windows, but 8 wich by the way its the less welcomed version of windows (i guess)

fer

any other ideas???

Provided Answers: 17
    Brilliant Database works perfect by default under Windows 10. Been using it for the last 9 days here without any issue.
    If you have problems under Win 8 or 8.1 in certain computers, this is down OEM version of windows that came with the computer. Fixing this is pretty easy, you just install the Visual Basic pack I posted on the forum a while back.

Let me search for the post.... I'll be back.

James.

Provided Answers: 17
    Ok, here's the Visual Basic Pack. Install this on the PC.
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl....aspx?id=10019

If that doesn't fix the problem, make sure .Net installed on the PC. You can fix that by running Windows Update to fetch updates from Microsoft.

Regards
    James.

Edited post to fix link

James and lostdb:

Thanks a lot for your comments.

James: i tryed the visualbasic stuff, with no luck....

but.... yesterday at 1:00 am at night, i finally found the solution... i will post in the good practice tread, but i commet here just in case some one can use the solution...

The proble is that if you compile your appliction, using the autobackup fuction build in brilliant checked to yes, and a directory that points to a directory in your computer, when you try to run the compiled application in windows 8 and 8.1 you will have a "run time error 13 type mismatch".
    when you re-compile your app, whitout the autobackup selectec to yes, you will have no problem at all"

guys thanks a lot, i got the scare of my life

fer from mexico

Provided Answers: 2
    Ferlash,

Try to reduce the screen resolution. I notice that BD does not work with higher resolutions.

i tryed to low the resolution , with no luck, but, the problem was the auto backup fuction, once you turn it off, it works under windows 8

best regards and thaks for your comments guys