I'm an archaeologist and I have a question about combining several data sets into a single, relational database (or some other application). For part of my dissertation, I want to try to get a better spatial-temporal understanding of the rise and fall of an ancient city. Some features (temples, canals, etc.) have precise dates, others features span a few hundred years or can be attributed to periods, and some features can only be dated in relation to other features. I am looking for a program that would allow me to specify a range of temporal/spatial relationships based on known dates, relative dates, and groupings of features.

I have access to many data sets that include many feature sets which have precise locations in time (point datasets of inscriptions, for example, which are dated); other features which can be attributed to periods (temples, for example, based on their architectural style); features which are essentially undatable but which can be spatially autocorrelated to dated features (for example ancient field walls and occupation mounds near the temples); and, more importantly, a wealth of information about complex spatio-temporal relationships (field walls which share the same alignment as nearby temples, canals which must postdate other canals because they cut right across them, temples which are undatable but lie in an area with a lot of inscriptions from a certain century, ceramics from a certain century found on top of a canal, reservoir walls built over the top of a temple, canals which then radiate from that reservoir, etc etc)

Once it's together in an appropriate application, I want to model the spatial development of the city of Angkor, find holes in temporal knowledge about the landscape, and identify conradictory or illogical outcomes from what archaeologists think they know about the timing of various things.

I would appreciate any help and thank you in advance.