Provided Answers: 1

Question Answered: System Databases Installed on C:\

I just did a fresh 2014 Standard installation and I specified all my drive paths specifically placing user data in D:\DATA , user logs in E:\LOGS , backups in F:\BACKUPS , and finally G:\TEMPDB. I then ran sp_Blitz and saw that all the important system databases were installed under: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL12.MSSQLSERVER\MSQL\DATA.

I am assuming this is "bad practice" however I followed the installer and not sure how I should have installed SQL Server to correctly dump the system db's under D:\DATA. When I restore the AdventureWorks2014.bak file, it correctly adds the .mdf to D:\DATA and the .ldf to E:\LOGS.

2. Best Answer
    Posted by CacheDrive

"Followed the Brent Ozar Best Practices guide which basically had everything I was asking in regards for Best Practices for someone not sure where to start.

Attachment 16528"

When you do a silent install and prepare the configuration file there is an option to define the system dbs (master,msdb,model,tempdb) location. Alternatively, if you are completing the install using the GUI installation wizard , there is an option to define the paths.
    In the installations I manage , I don't place the system dbs on the C:\. The main reason : if there is system crash or a server is likely to lose a drive it will be the C:\. It is always possible this could occur on other drives.
    The probable reason your db - AdventureWorks2014.bak is restoring to the D:\ is because by default it basis the restore paths on the default data and log drives.
    ---------------------------------
    www.sqlserver-dba.com
    www.dba-db2.com

OK so when I define my installation paths here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-07-29 at 11.41.45 PM.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	16515

Because I am installing SQL Server (Data Root Directory) under C:\ , this means all my system databases (master, model, msdb) will also be installed on C:\ rather than the User Database Directory?

I was told as a DBA, I "should" be installing SQL Server on C:\ along w/ the OS however all my directories should be isolated between DATA, INDEXES, BACKUP, LOGS, and TEMPDB.

What is the correct proper method here? Should I NOT be installing SQL Server on C:\ along w/ the OS? Should SQL Server be installed on the DATA directory? I am just trying to replicate common / preferred practices for configuring SQL Server.

Followed the Brent Ozar Best Practices guide which basically had everything I was asking in regards for Best Practices for someone not sure where to start.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-08-19 at 1.46.57 PM.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	162.1 KB 
ID:	16528