Unanswered: Brilliant DB Error and how to Automatic disconnect users and Shut Down

Hi All

It seems to me we sometimes have a power disruption in the early mornings. When this happen my database is the corrupt and I can do nothing with it.
    It gives me the following errors.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	error.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	16527

Is it possible to set a timer or script into the database to disconnect all users at 10pm and then shut down the database and at 06h30 in the morning start-up the database again ?

Hennie

Provided Answers: 17
    I don't think it's possible to disconnect users with a Timer.

When you script a timer to disable the share, it will only work if nobody is connected. If someone is connected, a warning message that requires you to manual press OK will be displayed.

This is clearly an oversight by Mikhail at Brilliant Database, and I'm sure if you told him he could fix this for v11.

Are you not using a UPS on the server?

Regards
    James

Hi James, thank you.
    Yes I am using a UPS but it's during the night so if no power then after an hour it will shut down.
    I will make sure the users are disconnected in the mean time.
    Then try to set a timer for de-share and exit database.

I also asked Mikhail when v11 will be up and running. . . . . no reply from him.

It seems to me the bigger the DB get and the more users are connected the more problems I get.
    At this stage I have 8 users and some of them connect through the local network and others by remote desktop.

I am a bit frustrated and hope v.11 will solve some of my problems.
    Soon we will have more than 7000 students and I do not have a backup plan or alternative DB at the moment.

Maybe I should start again and see if I can do the DB without using too much queries and folders.

Regards
    Hennie

Provided Answers: 17
    Hi Hennie.

Yes I am using a UPS but it's during the night so if no power then after an hour it will shut down.
    Are you running a Virtual Server by any chance? If you have database file on a different network drive to the virtual “C Drive” of the actual Virtual Server that's running the App, that can cause corruption during a forced windows shutdown.

I also asked Mikhail when v11 will be up and running. . . . . no reply from him.
    That's a shame. I have to contact him later today to see if I can get some sort of education discount for 24 Licences for a School.

It seems to me the bigger the DB get and the more users are connected the more problems I get.
    At this stage I have 8 users and some of them connect through the local network and others by remote desktop.
    It maybe the server being tasked with other jobs. In one of the large companies I deal with we dedicated a machine to running my databases only and it made a huge difference. I have 8 databases running on this dedicated machine and each one would have many users connecting to my databases all at the same time. Stability with a lot of users connected has been flawless.

Soon we will have more than 7000 students and I do not have a backup plan or alternative DB at the moment.
    The price of a dedicated PC is very little in the grand scheme of things. A simple desktop with a RAID setup would do. You don't need windows server software when brilliant database will run off any standard windows machine.

Regards
    James

Hi James

Yes you are 100% correct, we are running a few virtual Servers. Have two Proliant MC350e Gen8 Servers but with each a few virtual servers.
    Brilliant DB is running on one of them.

What you said make a lot of sense ! I will try this, I think the virtual server is my problem.

Thank you James

Hennie

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Namibia View Post
    Hi James

Yes you are 100% correct, we are running a few virtual Servers. Have two Proliant MC350e Gen8 Servers but with each a few virtual servers.
    Brilliant DB is running on one of them.

What you said make a lot of sense ! I will try this, I think the virtual server is my problem.

Thank you James

Hennie
    Just my experience with Version 9.42 and 10.54beta:
    Storing the database file on a network mapped drive works only until the database is below 50mb in size. I don't know if it relays only on the size or also on the records. My records have a lot of file attachments.
    Power loss should normaly not damage the database (I have made some tests with crashing a virtual system for testing purposes).

My solution:
    Do not use network mapped drives for storing the database. With local drives or SAN drives everything work fine. My experience is that using SAN is allways more reliable for virtual servers as network shares.

btw. I you are familar with SAN Technology you can purchase a SAN iSCSI Target Software for Windows (Kernsafe) and can use your own hardware. This is much cheaper as purchasing a complete SAN.