Unanswered: Convert solo .mdf file to .xls format

Hello,
    I have been conducting a series of pressure tests using HBM Catman Easy DAQ. I normally save the collected data straight to excel, however some of my files accidentally were saved in a .mdf format. The two types of files that saved was a .mdf file and a .tsx file (No .ldf) To extract the data into excel, I believe I have to attach the .mdf file to a database first, and then I can use the export wizard. I have no previous sql experience. I downloaded SQL server 2012 express, and have been trying to use the SQL server management studio. When I try to attach the .mdf file, the following error apppears:

TITLE: Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
    ------------------------------

Failed to retrieve data for this request. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Management.Sdk.Sfc)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdN...r&LinkId=20476

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

An exception occurred while executing a Transact-SQL statement or batch. (Microsoft.SqlServer.ConnectionInfo)

CREATE FILE encountered operating system error 5(Access is denied.) while attempting to open or create the physical file 'C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL\DATA\Tethered-I-36-2.mdf'. (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 5123)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdN...3&LinkId=20476

BUTTONS:

OK

I have no idea how to access my data from this file and the matter is becoming urgent for work. Any help is much appreciated!
    Thank you!!

Provided Answers: 54
    I'm not familiar with that product, but I've never seen any product that creates an MDF file directly without using SQL Server to make that happen. You probably need to review the documentation before you proceed. If it really is an MDF file, then:

Find where other MDF files are on your system (there will be 4+ of them in a default installation). If you took straight default installation options, this ought to be nested somewhere inside the C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\ folder. Put a copy of your MDF file in the folder with the other files.

Do not try to recreate the database, but using SQL Server try to attach the existing file as a new database.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Provided Answers: 11
    Actually, it looks like the file that Catman is producing is in fact a Measurement Data Format file. You may be able to open it with MATLAB.

Provided Answers: 54
    MATLAB makes far more sense to me!

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.