Provided Answers: 17

Unanswered: Virtual Reality (sort of off topic)

Hi all.
    This is one of those things that you will think you understand, but you don't really until you try this yourself. It's the difference between seeing a CGI scene in the Cinema, vs the scene actually being real and your actually the one experiencing it for real. Or like watching a car chase on TV. Watching it feels nothing whatsoever like being in the actual car.

Remember that scene in the Matrix where the Zion Control welcomes home the Nebuchadnezzar?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Matrix.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	72.4 KB 
ID:	16543

Well... that what it felt like for me last night with Brilliant Database and everything else on my PC. I have had a developers edition of Oculus Rift for quite a while now, but I was trying out a program called Virtual Desktop. Basically it recreates your desktop in Virtual Reality. My office can be for example have no walls and be in outer-space with me floating, and in front of me I could for example have a curved display with all my software on it.

How that feels, I can't truly explain. It's so liberating, relaxing and super productive. I can imagine this being the future of Office space and a great tool in increasing productivity as well as reducing stress entirely.

Rather than being stuck in a dull office with a window too far away to even see out it, your office space could be a desk at a blue lagoon with a massive waterfall, a sky full stars, and relaxing melodies as you work.

I can also see this technology being very dangerous. It's extremely addictive. Facebook addicts won't even go outside soon as this this is officially released to the public.

Regards
    James.

Provided Answers: 2
    James,
    How cool! I have read much about Oculus Rift but have not ventured at all into that arena. I have done some experimenting with another device that you mentioned some time back, the Leap Controller. That is a nifty piece of equipment! I am working on a project that is using the Leap Controller as a means to launch into an augmented reality presentation. Since I am always a couple of years behind your lead, I suppose by Summer of 2017 that I will start playing with the Oculus Rift!!!... and yes, I will still need your help with Brilliant Database.
    Daryl G

Provided Answers: 17
    Hi Daryl.

It would be a powerful tool for the business your in. I downloaded an experience for Oculus which was sponsored by GE medical division. Basically you get miniaturised down and you get to fly into a human brain where you can seen all the neurons firing. Wow.

There's one scene where they have a real 3D scan of all the layers in a human head, and you can actually push your own face forwards and into this persons head and see the layers. My goodness the detail, we are complex bio machines.

Even from a therapy point of view it's extremely powerful. Imagine someone stuck in hospital for a long duration feeling stressed, you could prescribe a few sessions of Oculus and allow them to experience what it's like to sit on top of the tallest mountain in the world overlooking a sunrise from above the clouds.

I think VR will be the future of entertainment and experiences so I've been learning Unity here. You can even use Leap Motion inside VR.

Regards
    James.

Provided Answers: 2
    James,
    You have stimulated my curiosity! I think that I may request one of these for Christmas as I have been good all year - my wife will vouch for that. Her clinic will be opening up in about two weeks as there was an unanticipated delay. I even have an office there called the 'Office of Innovation'. I can dream of many applications for this in regards to patient education. I have much work to do!
    Daryl G