Provided Answers: 6

Unanswered: Would you hire a senior oracle developer to SQL Server Development?

So I am putting together a team to fix an aging Kimball-esque data-warehousing/BI/OLAP solution that is plagued with many issues, but I have a good director behind me, and he is giving me just about anything I ask for in terms of hardware and tools and people to work with. Today he came to me and asked me if I would interview an old co-worker of his who is primarily an Oracle developer but has more than 15 years on the job.

I know a lot depends on the person involved, because a craftsman is a craftsman regardless of his tools, and I have not talked to him yet, but the director wants this guy to be my right hand, but I am a little apprehensive about bringing him into the deep end of the pool and expecting him to swim. Which is what I would expect.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 54
    I would give the guy an interview and would keep in mind that the director thinks highly of them... The director knows you and likes your work, so I'm betting that the recommendation is probably good and certainly well intentioned.

The chances are very good that this guy could be an industrial diamond that would work perfectly with a little help. You need to figure out how they will fit on your team, but my gut says that chances are very good that they will fit very well.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

Provided Answers: 5
    Thrasy,
    This thought process is one that has always bothered me. Would you not let me purchase a Schwinn because I had only ridden BMX? Same with analogy with a car, you can't drive a GM, since you grew up in a Honda? SQL is SQL(for the most part) they follow ANSI standards at least I always try to ensure anything within an application is following ANSI standards. We access DB's in the same way ODBC, etc... yes SSIS is a little different but easy enough to pick up. I've been around for awhile, so I used to get asked questions like what model mainframe did you work on? Who cares? Its still a mainframe and still executess load modules and has CICS and ISPF and JCL. Ran into it the same when I moved into DB2 for LUW and Oracle and MySQL and SQL Server, yes I had to pick up more knowledge and I still refer to the web for help on VI editor and some UNIX commands. Granted I don't do as much on all of them as I have in the past, but they do all do the same things, sometimes in a slightly different flavor, but that is what a manual and google are for when you have a question. Who says this guy won't be up to the task?

Oops...guess I should answer your question... I might, if he seemed like a good fit.
    Dave

Provided Answers: 6
    So yeah I still have not talked to him. So great he will know the basic ins-and outs of SELECT FROM WHERE GROUP BY HAVING and GROUP BY, but will he have the ability chase a problem down from a reporting Services front end back through some cubes and star schemas to the source data or figure out what is hosing the staging server. Yeah I am going tot talk to him, but I do not have time to train people these days.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.