Answered: Issue with Sharing a Split Access Database

Hello,

I am desperately seeing advice on what I may be doing wrong with a split database.

I have a back-end db (Equipment Data Management Tool (BE).accdb) on a shared server with all the tables AND I have the front-end db (Equipment Data Management Tool.accdb) with the linked tables, queries and forms on the same server.

There are 3 of us who copied the client db to our desktops.

One of the users is receiving the following error message when attempting to open the

<ERROR>
    Could not use “E:\EOMS\Equipment Data Management Tool\Equipment Data Management Tool (BE).accdb”; file already in use.

I checked and both the front and back ends of the db are in Shared Mode and have No Locks in default record locking.

Did I miss a step in splitting the database? I don't know what else to check. There are only 3 users and we should all be able to use the db simultaneously (I think).

Please help! Thank you.

2. Best Answer
    Posted by healdem

"that message usually indicates that someone somewhere has secured a lock on the db. that lock could be because thats
    ...the way their settings inside Access are, check locking behaviour
    ...it could be the way they are opening up the db in that particular instance (eg the shortcut/method they use to open the db isn't the same as you think it is.
    ...it could be that someone has opened the db up in development mode, or the application itself forces devel.opment mode through redesign of forms or reports on the fly within the app.
    ...it could be that some process has opened up another reference to the same Access db and not closed it properly.

with a split db there should only ever be one back end for a specific purpose AND there should be a separate front end, ideally deployed on the users own workstation, for each user. again ideally that front end shoudl be deployed as an encrypted MDE / ACCDE format so users cannot tinker with the design.

development on the application should be done in a separate pair of front & back ends.

there is a way of finding out who is connected tot eh db, including which user, which computer. if this happens on a regualr basis then copy that code into a form and see who is using the system

the most likely guess in my mid is that someone has triggered 'design' mode and has secured a lock on the application"

Provided Answers: 24
    I use split db all the time and never had issues. Now, at no point does a person get all the data. 1 person usu only looks at 1 record,(and its sub recs)
    If they view lists of data, is set to read-only. Only the single rec form can edit.

But all users can view /edit the data simultaneously.

Provided Answers: 59
    that message usually indicates that someone somewhere has secured a lock on the db. that lock could be because thats
    ...the way their settings inside Access are, check locking behaviour
    ...it could be the way they are opening up the db in that particular instance (eg the shortcut/method they use to open the db isn't the same as you think it is.
    ...it could be that someone has opened the db up in development mode, or the application itself forces devel.opment mode through redesign of forms or reports on the fly within the app.
    ...it could be that some process has opened up another reference to the same Access db and not closed it properly.

with a split db there should only ever be one back end for a specific purpose AND there should be a separate front end, ideally deployed on the users own workstation, for each user. again ideally that front end shoudl be deployed as an encrypted MDE / ACCDE format so users cannot tinker with the design.

development on the application should be done in a separate pair of front & back ends.

there is a way of finding out who is connected tot eh db, including which user, which computer. if this happens on a regualr basis then copy that code into a form and see who is using the system

the most likely guess in my mid is that someone has triggered 'design' mode and has secured a lock on the application
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thank you so much for the responses. I found out that the user in question did not have full permissions to the share server. That will be written in my log.

Thank again for the comments and suggestions.