Provided Answers: 1

Question Unanswered: Replication When Publisher and Subscriber Hostname Conflicts?

We've got x2 data centers in the US:

NYC & SAC

Sadly the hostnames for the boxes I am trying to replicate are similar:

- db1.nyc.mydomain.tld
    - db1.sac.mydomain.tld

The servers can talk to each other over all necessary ports however when I generate a push subscription from the publisher, I am asked to add the SQL Server subscriber and it already shows DB1 listed since itself is DB1.nyc. How can I attach the remote subscriber when setting up the subscription from the publisher if the hostname conflicts in my unique scenario?

Yes, I am aware this naming convention is "bad practice".

I created a entry on the publishers host file to use db2sac for the SAC IP and entering that alias in as the remote subscriber but no dice.

Provided Answers: 11
    When you look a the distributor's allowed subscribers, does sac show up?

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by MCrowley View Post
    When you look a the distributor's allowed subscribers, does sac show up?
    No, sadly in the drop down menu the SAC hostname of SQL Server in Sacramento is not visible. I really wouldn't expect it to be either. I was told I need to create an alias for the SAC host inside SQL Server to circumvent this issue (when two servers in replication have identical hostnames but a unique sub-domain.

Provided Answers: 11
    You may need to add the servers in the subscriber list with their full DNS names, then. I doubt it only accepts NetBIOS names.

Provided Answers: 54
    At least as far as I know, your choices are to use either the FQDN for the servers, or you need to add a SQL Server Native Client Alias for one or both of them.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.