Thread: Any BDB News ?

Question Unanswered: Any BDB News ?

Good day all BDB users.

Does anyone of you have any news regarding BDB ver 11 or have any sort of contact with Mikail?

I have to make some decision soon and not sure what to do. Do I wait or start from scratch with something else?
    Most of my problems seems to me is that BDB must be 64bit.

Does anyone came across a similar database as BDB?

Hennie

Provided Answers: 54
    I've been using databases since the 1970s, so I'm a bit jaded.

Brilliant Database (BDB) has a great user interface (UI) which is the screens that you see as a user/developer. Other than that UI, BDB isn't much different than any other file based database to me. Nearly all of the file based products will do exactly what BDB will do, using a different UI.

Mikail seems to be a brilliant developer (no pun intended there), but like most brilliant developers he is a very poor business man. If he had a few people to help him run the business, BDB could be a wonderful product. Without the help of talented business people and some support staff, Mikail and BDB are a black hole for the time and money of BDB users.

I've learned something about learning over the years. This applies to computers and products as well as it applies to people in general:
    1. The first anything you learn is hard because it is your first.
    2. The second anything that you learn is hard too, because it is NOT your first.
    3. After the second anything you learn, any others are just variations on a theme!

Anyone with the talent and perseverance that I've seen demonstrated by the BDB users here on this forum can succeed. They can succeed with any product that they choose. They may need to learn another tool, but they can succeed.

Mikail has a great product in Brilliant Database, but I haven't seen him willing to put the time, resources, or effort in to BDB to make it accessible and to achieve enough market penetration to make BDB viable long term. Under the present circumstances, BDB will die with Mikail if it doesn't lapse into disuse before then.

-PatP
    In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, theory and practice are unrelated.

True Words !!

Provided Answers: 17
    I sent Mikhail a few emails about buying 24 licences and I didn't even get a reply to any of my emails. I had an opportunity to start teaching brilliant database in a School, but since he never bothered to reply to me, I'll do something else. That's a loss of 24 sales, plus the additional copies each student would have purchased for their home PC's as they went though course with me. That quickly would have added up to a lot of sales based on the fact that I was going to teach 3 classes to begin with.

He is loosing new and existing customers by not engaging with us.

If v11 surfaces at any point this year, I won't be buying it right away as I can live with the current version of v10.54 for many years to come right now as it is stable enough. I don't want just a new version of brilliant database, I want to assurance there's a future in using the software.

If not, I'll use something else.

Regards
    James

Hi James

I think for all of us brilliant database is great but like you Pat said . . . no support from them.

Every day I checked Brilliant Database's website to see if maybe there is movement but nothing.

Your last words: "If not, I'll use something else." give me hope because I know you and Pat are the masters and hope you will or maybe find a similar DB. I tried a few but
    nothing that's on par with Brilliant Database. Seems to me if you find something then they kill you with all the license fees.

Tubbritt
    I can offer for you My Visual Database for free (life time licenses), for teaching database in a School.

Please let me know if you are interested in this offer.
    E-mail: support@drive-software.com

Quote Originally Posted by DriveSoft View Post
    Tubbritt
    I can offer for you My Visual Database for free (life time licenses), for teaching database in a School.

Please let me know if you are interested in this offer.
    E-mail: support@drive-software.com
    Dmitry,

Just an idea:
    Could you try to get in touch with Mikhail from Brilliant Database?
    Getting his source code or doing something similar additional to your software could bring you addtitional turnover with getting all the customers from Brilliant Database additional to your current customers.

MySQL: Take a look at the licence for closed source applications. In the past there was a need for the distributor to get a distribution licence for MySQL. As exit strategy I could recommend PostgeSQL.

Thank.

Quote Originally Posted by lostdb View Post
    Dmitry,

Just an idea:
    Could you try to get in touch with Mikhail from Brilliant Database?
    Getting his source code or doing something similar additional to your software could bring you addtitional turnover with getting all the customers from Brilliant Database additional to your current customers.
    I think it is impossible )

Quote Originally Posted by lostdb View Post
    MySQL: Take a look at the licence for closed source applications. In the past there was a need for the distributor to get a distribution licence for MySQL. As exit strategy I could recommend PostgeSQL.

Thank.
    Thanks )
    I do not distribute MySQL, user should download and install MySQL from the official website.

Provided Answers: 17
    Hi DriveSoft.

That's extremely kind of you and I sincerely appreciate that. Sadly other plans have already been made at this point because we lost hope in Brilliant Database ever replying. Seems I have to teach them how to write apps for Android / iOS instead. Not even close to being the same thing, but that's what they decided on in the end since Brilliant Database didn't have the respect to even response.

I'd like to even consider using your software myself for my clients, but sadly it doesn't seem to fit in with their needs and expectations. You would have to see some screen shots of the day to day databases they all use to understand as well as the fact that none of them want to use a separate database system like MySQL.

My clients are typically small offices (6 people) to small factories that have no more than 30 employees. While I do work for larger factories with over 100 employees, they are all starting to outsource IT, so running a database separate from the applications is not an option even for them any more as the IT companies on contract generally have no clue as to what should have been running on the server when the remote into the desktop.

With Brilliant Database, everything is self contained. A simple launch of an Icon and everything is up and running.

Kind regards
    James

Quote Originally Posted by Tubbritt View Post
    With Brilliant Database, everything is self contained. A simple launch of an Icon and everything is up and running.
    MySQL is just option, default project using SQLite, it means also everything is self contained, not require installation and third-party components. A same simple launch of an icon and everything is up and running.
    Last edited by DriveSoft; 10-03-15 at 21:30.

News Indeed

I got this from Mikhail

"Hello,

We are working both on Brilliant and new online database now. I think we will finally release v11 in November 2015.

--
    Best Regards,
    Mikhail
    Binary Brilliant Inc "

[QUOTE=Brilliant Namibia;6638760]I got this from Mikhail

"Hello,

We are working both on Brilliant and new online database now. I think we will finally release v11 in November 2015.
    ___

Least hope till I see the actual release!