Provided Answers: 6

Answered: Skills required to be solid at SSIS?

Just curious what skills are recommended to start to dabble into the world of SSIS?

I was presented an opportunity in my team to start to manage and create the SSIS packaging. Being a study nerd, I want to focus on a particular topic if at all possible. One of the .net dev said you'll need to know C#.

Right now I am focusing on higher end development functions such as Stor Procedures and setting up agent jobs.

Any guidence would be greatly appreciated. I am going to review Pluralsight and Lynda, but these technologies usually require another sub skills to help the transition more seamless. Any suggestions on where my focus should go? I want to do a feasibility study on myself to see if I am even capable of this type of work.

2. Best Answer
    Posted by MCrowley

"I have just spent the last year going from knowing very little about SSIS to knowing little about SSIS. Just like every other technology that has ever been made, it is relatively easy to do easy things with SSIS, like move data from one place to another, but it gets harder to do more advanced things.

Jump on in, and try out things. You'll find SSIS is a stickler for validating everything at every step, which is a bit of a pain, but probably necessary. After a while, you will get comfortable with it. Come up with ways to make your packages better, faster, errorproof, etc.. That should be enough to get you learning the stuff that you really need to know."

The whole M$ stack kind of compliments itself. C#/VB.Net, T-SQL, XML, DOS, etc... all come in handy when developing SSIS, but I would not say you have to be an intensive C# developer to be a SSIS developer. I have known a few SSIS tool guys who wee miserable at T-SQL. Learn it all and anything else you run into along the way that will keep you employed as a developer. That is kind of the way the profession works. At the bare minimum you will have to retrain yourself every few years, and if you want to be the best, which I am certainly not, YOU SHOULD ALWAYS BE LEARNING SOMETHING NEW.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 11
    I have just spent the last year going from knowing very little about SSIS to knowing little about SSIS. Just like every other technology that has ever been made, it is relatively easy to do easy things with SSIS, like move data from one place to another, but it gets harder to do more advanced things.

Jump on in, and try out things. You'll find SSIS is a stickler for validating everything at every step, which is a bit of a pain, but probably necessary. After a while, you will get comfortable with it. Come up with ways to make your packages better, faster, errorproof, etc.. That should be enough to get you learning the stuff that you really need to know.

Thanks all for the heads up I appreciate you taking time out to reply.....

Provided Answers: 1
    Masochism helps.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com