Question Unanswered: Need to get the Database available

Hi,
    I am using the db2 database of 9.7 Version,fixpack 3,edition is ESE and Operating system is Linux( 5.4 Tikanga).

Primary server has 3 databases(x,y,z) and secondary server has 2 databases(x,y)..

Recently restored Secondary server backup in to the Primary server (Only the database related file systems-- DB2 installation directory only ).

Post the restoration unable to find/connect to one of the database(z) in the primary server..

The corresponding files of the missing database exists on the primary server under different mount point.

Please let me know how to get the missing database...

Thanks in advance..

Provided Answers: 6
    Are you doing a full system restore?
    Andy

"All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can’t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use hammer.” — IBM maintenance manual, 1975 "

Provided Answers: 55
    Hi,

Which file systems are you referring as "Only the database related file systems-- DB2 installation directory only"?
    Is the instance owner's home directory located on one of these file systems?
    Regards,
    Mark.

Hi Andy,

I had not done full file system restoration. Only the instance directory and db2 installation directory are restored.
    Last edited by Santosh Kenguva; 10-12-15 at 04:12.

Hi Mark,

Yes restored both the instance owner's home directory and db2 installation directory..

Santosh,

I'd strongly not recommend you to do such things in future.
    You overrode the db2 system directory files - the system catalog, the instance configuration, etc.
    What you can try to do is to uncatalog both existing database (uncatalog db x, uncatalog db y - it's better to do this since their local database directories can be different from the corresponding ones on the source system) and catalog all these x, y and z databases again.
    To do the latest you must know the local database directory for all 3 databases.
    You can find these local db directories by the following command:
    $ find /some_path -type d -name sqldbdir

If you got something like this:
    /some_long_path/${DB2INSTANCE}/NODE0000/sqldbdir

You can list the databases in this local directory:
    $ db2 list db directory on /some_long_path
    and catalog the database if the command above returned the name:
    $ db2 catalog db z on /some_long_path
    Regards,
    Mark.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the suggestion. I would like to inform that both the servers has the databases(x,y) with the same details related to system catalog, the instance configuration, etc..

Also both X,Y databases are in HADR mode between these servers.

Only differnece between these two servers is Z database. So can i proceed by catalog the Z database on the primary server?

Santosh,

yes, you can try to catalog this Z database on the primary server, and hope that it will work...
    Regards,
    Mark.

Provided Answers: 6
    Why would you even take this approach in the first place? You are adopting a technique that IBM would not support
    Andy

"All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can’t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use hammer.” — IBM maintenance manual, 1975 "

Hi Mark,

I had done the catalog of the database and it worked for me...

Thanks a ton for the support..