Answered: db2 drop table and lower high water mark from tablespace

db2 9.7 fp 5 / win 2008

Hi, please share your experience.

i need to drop a table which is around 40GB. Once I drop the TBS , the will the HWM come down automatically and the space will be freed from the tablespace or do i need to take any further action?

Thanks,

2. Best Answer
    Posted by tafster

"reorg the tables in the TS and leave it"

Provided Answers: 6
    Have a look at the 'alter tablespace' statement
    Andy

"All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can’t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use hammer.” — IBM maintenance manual, 1975 "

Dart

Quote Originally Posted by tafster View Post
    Have a look at the 'alter tablespace' statement
    Thanks Andy.

This TBS was migrated from v8.2 (not created TBS under v9.7). So looks like only DART can reduce the HWM (may not be guaranty)

Why do I need to worry about HWM? what will happen if i leave the TBS as it is after dropping the table? I know 40GB worth of pages free pages are there and it will be re-used?

Thanks.

Provided Answers: 6
    reorg the tables in the TS and leave it
    Andy

"All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore, if you can’t get them together again, there must be a reason. By all means, do not use hammer.” — IBM maintenance manual, 1975 "

Provided Answers: 11
    or create new ts (reclaimable storage bit on) and use admin_move table to move tables to new ts.
    alter tablespace .. reduce max can be used in that case
    Best Regards, Guy Przytula
    Database Software Consultant
    Good DBAs are not formed in a week or a month. They are created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed to develop good DBAs.
    Spoon feeding : To treat (another) in a way that discourages independent thought or action, as by overindulgence.
    DB2 UDB LUW Certified V7-V8-V9-V9.7-V10.1-V10.5 DB Admin - Advanced DBA -Dprop..
    Information Server Datastage Certified
    http://www.infocura.be

Thanks,

BIG thank to all your support.