Provided Answers: 1

Answered: Return Today's Date when Field is called 'Date'

Hi, I'm quite new to VB.

Code:
    Private Sub TypeTypeID_Changed()

If Me.TypeTypeID = "4" Then Date = Date
    End

End Sub
    I know that Date returns today's date. I have used this in some simple window customisations where the date field is named something other than 'Date' and it works fine. However in this case, the date field is called 'Date'. There is no change in the date value when TypeTypeID is changed. What I believe is happening is it's picking up the field 'Date' value, and returning what is already in there. The If Statement is working fine as I have hard coded Date = "dd/mm/yy" and it works.

How do I get it to change to today's date rather than what is the value in the field Date?

Thankyou

Tania

2. Best Answer
    Posted by Tania Mofflin

"Hi, I have found that you can rename the field value to something else, eg DocDate, and then change the code to -

Code:
    If Me.TypeTypeID = "4" Then DocDate = Date

Quote Originally Posted by Tania Mofflin View Post
    Hi, I'm quite new to VB.

Code:

End

End Sub
    I know that Date returns today's date. I have used this in some simple window customisations where the date field is named something other than 'Date' and it works fine. However in this case, the date field is called 'Date'. There is no change in the date value when TypeTypeID is changed. What I believe is happening is it's picking up the field 'Date' value, and returning what is already in there. The If Statement is working fine as I have hard coded Date = "dd/mm/yy" and it works.

How do I get it to change to today's date rather than what is the value in the field Date?

Thankyou

Tania
    "

Hi, I have found that you can rename the field value to something else, eg DocDate, and then change the code to -

Code:
    If Me.TypeTypeID = "4" Then DocDate = Date

Quote Originally Posted by Tania Mofflin View Post
    Hi, I'm quite new to VB.

Code:

End

End Sub

Thankyou

Tania

Provided Answers: 59
    Or explicitly tell the compiler that you want to use the date function

Code:
    ....date = date ()
    However the lesson from this going forward is to be aware of the reserved words and symbols for whatever languages/tools you are using and NOT use any of them
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thanks but I had already tried that. It removes the brackets automatically after any function. The field was already named Date in the ERP. I only just learned you can rename it in the properties.

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    Or explicitly tell the compiler that you want to use the date function

Code:
    ....date = date ()
    However the lesson from this going forward is to be aware of the reserved words and symbols for whatever languages/tools you are using and NOT use any of them