Unanswered: Access Record Data Randomly Missing?

Hello all. At my work we have a very large access database that we use and it is used by 2-4 different people to update and add data. Two of the people using it have reported recently that some data is just coming up missing at random. I did some research and found that when the Access file is opened by two people it may be possible that one person is saving new data, a couple of hours later the other person may be saving the data and therefore actually writing over the previous save. Access doesn't have a rule for multiple openings. Does this sound right to you guys?

Provided Answers: 59
    Access does, and Access can be made even more robust

it sounds to me as if your operators require training AND / OR you need to tighten up the applciation so that users cannot overwrite data.

there are several techniques

you could display a pop up message box sayign are yiou sure you want to overwrite existing data

you could set the form to add only mode
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

The issue there is though, they need to be able to edit existing records not just add new ones.

Provided Answers: 59
    so it sopudns liek you need to train your users
    AND change the application so that it becomes clear when users are addign data and when they are deleting data

you may also want to consider implementing an audit trail (google Ms access audit trail) and Allen Browne's examples are pretty good for that so that you you know who is dong what to the data in the db.

you may want to implement a software code lock Ie if column is set to a specific value the row cannot be edited, until that colum,n in then unchecked. can be implements as a boolean column. the default is editable, and in the forms before update event flip it so the db value become suneditable. then dont[ allow edits if that flag is set injt he on current event
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton