Provided Answers: 5

Unanswered: MDE file causing my Access 2007 Install to start

My clients use access 2007 . They have a legacy application that is in an MDE format. The only MsAccess.exe kernel on the machines is for 2007. Every time they invoke the MDE it is trying to run the msiexec.exe and ask for the install disk. When you click cancel it completes by saying install was cancelled and then the app loads. When going back to an accdb a pop up with progress bar says please wait while Microsoft Access configure syour machine then a second later the accdb loads.

How can I prevent these dialogs from starting?

Could I just change the extension of the mde to accde? or do I have to make a registry or association entry?
    Dale Houston, TX

Provided Answers: 14
    This usually happens when several versions of Access (or MS Office in general) are present on the same machine. Carefully check that it's not the case. You can use a tool like Revo Uninstaller (http://www.revouninstaller.com/) to be sure. As far as I know, changing the extension won't help.
    Have a nice day!

Provided Answers: 5
    if that is the case (multiple versions, and I have to check) then using command line arguments using the specific exe kernel for the MDE and the accdb's clear the problem up?
    Dale Houston, TX

Provided Answers: 14
    Unfortunately not. The use of a specific version of a product from the MS-Office suite necessitates a modification in several Registry keys. That's an old problem with the COM (and DLL) objects. Each time you start an MS-Office product, a check is made to see whether the related Registry keys match the product version. If not the Registry is updated. The only case I can imagine where you could have 2 versions of MS-Office on the same machine without that hassle would be (not sure, never tried) in case you have a 32 bit version of MS-Office and another 64 bit version of MS-Office installed on a 64 bit OS. This would be because both versions would depend on keys located in 2 different branches of the Registry.
    Have a nice day!