Unanswered: Any suggestions for open source application development tools for PostgreSQL
I have been an application developer and database designer for many years.
For some of that time I used the Oracle Developer toolkit and although that is not what I use any more, I am looking to find an open source equivalent that references the underlying database schema when designing forms and reports to make the application development as easy as possible.
We are now at a point where we can take a fresh look at our development tool kit and I want to find a combination of database and application development tools that work well together and whose adoption will be a wise step strategically that we can move forward with.
From my reading on PostgreSQL so far, it seems to meet our needs of a database and I am now looking for a suitable application development tool that ticks all the boxes too. At the moment, my thinking is not limited to PostgreSQL so if the most appropriate application development tool works better with other open source databases, then I am more than willing to do some R&D into those too.
The end result of this exercise would be to find a database and application development tool that:
- can be developed and distributed via a web browser
- allows the data to be hosted securely in the cloud - or a local cloud within our firewall
- includes an interface that allows the database schema to be created/developed easily - I don't want to be coding at the DOS/UNIX prompt level
- includes an interface that allows forms/reports to be created easily but which is flexible/powerful enough to allow functionality such as table/row level rules to be set up either on the user form or at database level
- is scalable - I would want to sandbox the tools to prove that they do the job and then buy storage incrementally as the demands on the it grows over time
- is a toolset that is in common enough use that others use it, should it be necessary to buy in the development skills if required
- is ideally a toolset which is flexible enough to change to other open source tools should more suitable products appear in the future
I am probably shooting for the moon here - I admit I am a bit of a perfectionist and I know what I want.
However, if you don't ask you don't get and from 25+ years of working in this field, I don't want to spend time going down one road only to find that it isn't viable.
So - if anyone has any suggestions on the tools that I should be considering, I would really appreciate your ideas, especially if you have already faced the same challenges. I have time now to do some R&D so if you know of a good sandbox area or information that would help me find one that would be especially valuable as being able to demonstrate what the end result would look like rather than just explaining what it could look like improves the chance of success.
Finally, I have to admit that I am a infrequent visitor to forums such as this so if there are already other posts on this topic or if I have posted it in the wrong area, please let me know.
Thank-you for taking the time to read this post. If you are able to give advice too, then many thanks.