Unhappy Unanswered: Grouping in reports for specific period

Hi friends ..
    I have database with lot of records also having date field [completiondate] and required to be grouped and make report for specific range 1-oct-yyyy to 31-march-yyyy and 1-apr-yyyy to 30-sep-yyyy ie half yearly wise. pl help me how to do. thanks in advance.

Provided Answers: 59
    Either use an iif to consolidate dates into financial periods or better yet have a calendar table that maps true dates to financial dates. Eg:-
    Table financial_years
    Fyear integer
    Fperiod integer
    Starts_on date

Prinary key would be a composite of fyrear and fperiod
    Index on starts_on

Join to the calendar table to retrieve the fyear and period
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    Either use an iif to consolidate dates into financial periods or better yet have a calendar table that maps true dates to financial dates. Eg:-
    Table financial_years
    Fyear integer
    Fperiod integer
    Starts_on date

Prinary key would be a composite of fyrear and fperiod
    Index on starts_on

Join to the calendar table to retrieve the fyear and period
    Sir, thanks for suggestion but Iam not understanding, I want only how to group records half yearly wise (specific range april-oct and oct-march of the year) on field [completiondate] and show summary of qty in reports.
    my table - wrktble having fields ! docno ! desc ! type ! qty ! completiondate ! Remark !,
    I want to know how to generate report with above specific range grouping and summary on qty. Pl help..

Either use an iif eg
    Iif (month(mydatecolumn) between 4 and 9,"p1","p2") as period
    Or define a calendar table and JOIN to that table to find the period

Of the two the calendar table is,id argue the better option

Either use an iif eg
    Iif (month(mydatecolumn) between 4 and 9,"p1","p2") as period
    Or define a calendar table and JOIN to that table to find the period

Of the two the calendar table is,id argue the better option
    Thanks for suggestion and I got the idea and made two columns in query and joined and it worked but how to get previous year ie each specific period "oct-14 to Mar-15" and "Apr-15 to Sept-15" for a particular date and for every year, example for date say 1-jan-2015 it should show range as "oct-14 to Mar-15", and for date say 20-may-2015 it should show range as "Apr-15 to Sept-15", i have tried various combination but could not succeeded, may be I will try more and lets see if i get desired result... mean time u can also suggest me.. Thanks lot..

Quote Originally Posted by putur View Post
    Thanks for suggestion and I got the idea and made two columns in query and joined and it worked but how to get previous year ie each specific period "oct-14 to Mar-15" and "Apr-15 to Sept-15" for a particular date and for every year, exampl0e for date say 1-jan-2015 it should show range as "oct-14 to Mar-15", and for date say 20-may-2015 it should show range as "Apr-15 to Sept-15", i have tried various combination but could not succeeded, may be I will try more and lets see if i get desired result... mean time u can also suggest me.. Thanks lot..
    as said before create a calendar table that maps a real world date into a financial / production / planning date.

of add the year(mycolumn) to the query that identifies what period it is based on the IIF above

BUT it does mean you have to include the iif in both the select AND if you use grouping the GROUP by or even where clauses.

use a calendar... it simplifies the query

as said before create a calendar table that maps a real world date into a financial / production / planning date.

of add the year(mycolumn) to the query that identifies what period it is based on the IIF above

BUT it does mean you have to include the iif in both the select AND if you use grouping the GROUP by or even where clauses.

use a calendar... it simplifies the query
    Thanks dear, I got it through your nice suggestion.
    I made following columns in query after lot of try..

monthgr: Format([completedon],"yyyy")
    p1: IIf(Month([completedon]) Between 4 And 9,"1-Apr-" & [monthgr],IIf(Month([completedon]) Between 1 And 3,"1-oct-" & [monthgr]-1,"1-oct-" & [monthgr]))
    p2: IIf(Month([completedon]) Between 4 And 9,"30-Sept-" & [monthgr],IIf(Month([completedon]) Between 1 And 3,"31-Mar-" & [monthgr],"31-Mar-" & [monthgr]+1))
    monthperiod: [p1] & " to " & [p2]

In reports grouping done on [monthperiod] and i got the qty summary by specific period..

Happy to achieve what I expected.. Thanks for your help..

Just small sorting problem exits ie April-15 comes before oct-14, ie. text sorting happens.. I want in ascending order from old period to latest.

Hoping for some suggestion..

So can we see the actual SQL. Thats the SQL view not selected bits from tge GUI query designer.

The reason you are struggging with the sort order is because you are making it harder for yourself by using an iif statement NOT a JOINing to a calendar table.

So can we see the actual SQL. Thats the SQL view not selected bits from tge GUI query designer.

The reason you are struggging with the sort order is because you are making it harder for yourself by using an iif statement NOT a JOINing to a calendar table.
    wrk-period.zip

Pl see the file where I am wrong

Sir, Dont understand how to do calendar table or how to join ... i am not expert in access, but knows little bit.. hope u will give some idea how to do.. thanks..

I thought I already had....

persoanlly I don't have time or the inclination to provide a fully working, debugged example