Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: Being Asked To Provide SQL Server Query Metrics

I was asked to look at our production SQL Server 2012 server and provide:

We’re trying to look at current cost information for the SQL Server we already have deployed in the cloud for a comparison.

-avg number of queries executed for reports,
    -response time,
    -space consumed by data

Is there a way I can query the DB after hours to provide the 1st two? I can query the DB and provide disk space and total data being stored.

Provided Answers: 11
    Luckily this is SQL 2012. This will give you a great opportunity to look at Extended Events. The SQL 2014 (maybe SQL 2012) SSMS should give you something of a GUI to set these up. Querying them may require a bit of learning about the XML datatype, and its methods, but this is all stuff you will want to know later on on the exams.

For now, work with the GUI to get it set up, and on the side, look over how to tweak, customize, or otherwise spindle the collection and reporting on events.

Provided Answers: 6
    I do like those fancy deadlock reports I get out of extended events, but isn't this information more readily available in the dynamic management views.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 11
    Probably not at a query level. There are likely to be a lot of small queries, and a few large reports. The average over all of these is not going to make much sense to anyone, so the response times may take a little more finesse in analysis.