Answered: Invalid use of group function?

Hi all,
    Getting stumped on this invalid use of group function error. I am not using a group by clause so I am somewhat confused:

Code:
    SELECT
    SUM(CASE WHEN NOT hours.jobnum='0'  THEN ROUND(SUM(TIME_TO_SEC(TIMEDIFF(hours.clockout, hours.clockin))/3600)) ELSE 0 END) as cadon,
    SUM(CASE WHEN hours.jobnum='0'  THEN ROUND(SUM(TIME_TO_SEC(TIMEDIFF(hours.clockout, hours.clockin))/3600)) ELSE 0 END) as cadoff
    FROM hours, employees WHERE hours.empid = employees.employeeid AND YEAR(hours.clockout)='2015' AND employees.class='working' AND employees.firstname='Someone'
    Any help appreciated. I have many case queries in mssql but never mysql so perhaps there is an error somewhere that I can't spot.
    Thanks!

2. Best Answer
    Posted by MCrowley

"I would bet MySQL is complaining about the nested SUM functions, but that is mostly a guess. Can you try it without the inner SUM?"

Provided Answers: 11
    I would bet MySQL is complaining about the nested SUM functions, but that is mostly a guess. Can you try it without the inner SUM?

Provided Answers: 5
    if you are using an aggregate function, SUM, COUNT, MIN, MAX, etc... you must use a group by. Unless that is the only column you are selecting
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by MCrowley View Post
    I would bet MySQL is complaining about the nested SUM functions, but that is mostly a guess. Can you try it without the inner SUM?
    You got it! I didn't even notice that as I built this query from an old one that already had a sum. Removed it and no errors.
    Thank you!