Provided Answers: 5

Answered: Driver or custom setting for 11x17

I have a client that wants a dynamic report I have created to be run on 11x17 paper so they can choose more fields in the report.

I have tried to download drivers for printers that offer that printing soze but every install askes me to turn the printer on or attach to PC LOL Not possible as I do not have the printer for any of the drivers I have downloaded. I have created the new report for 17 inch width but it is printing two pages for every page because I cannot set the page size. I have not seen any custom page size for any of the printers I have. How can I set the paper size for 11x17 or is there a printer driver out there that does not make it mandatory to have the printer?

Thank you.
    Dale Houston, TX

2. Best Answer
    Posted by healdem

"if the worst comes to the worst use a PDF printer, or if your OS already has one an XPS printer. however you may well have problems when it coems to deploying the app as the host system running the application will need to configure a local printer of the same type. As powerful as the MS Access report generator is it does sometimes get tripped up by the simplest of things "

Provided Answers: 59
    if the worst comes to the worst use a PDF printer, or if your OS already has one an XPS printer. however you may well have problems when it coems to deploying the app as the host system running the application will need to configure a local printer of the same type. As powerful as the MS Access report generator is it does sometimes get tripped up by the simplest of things
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 5
    Yeah - kind of bites LOL

Either way I have to use a specific printer or at least set my default to a PDF printer to test. Do you know of any way to load a driver or install it without having the printer? Every printer I try to install wants to communicate with the printer prior to finishing the installation. I miss those Windows for Workgroups 3.11 days LOL
    Dale Houston, TX

Provided Answers: 59
    ...thats the 'joy' of a PDF or XPS virtual printer. its doesn't matter as any differences between the development environment and the live environments(s). a PDF is a PDF, its down to the PDF viewer to handle the differences between printers, colour and monochrome, paper size etc.

the PDF consumer should have local printers configured for their use... providing you write the PDF correctly its a local network issue not a development issue.

I also find it helps to always develop code that uses the smallest approximation of paper sizes so reports can be pritned on A4 or letter, A3 or 11"x17" so that reports can be printed natively on what ever is close to hand. but scaling inside soem PDF viewers removes the need for that.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton