Answered: two fields with the same name in query, how can I use my Dlookup function for that??

I have a text boxes on my Form1 and I am using Dlookup to retrieve Driver Name from "qryBusesDrivers" but the problem is there are two [ID] fields in the query, one is a Bus ID and the other is Driver ID.. my Dlookup function is as =DLookUp("[DriverNameAr]","qryBusesDrivers","[ID]=" & [Forms]![frmAddNewTrip]![Bus_Driver_ID])

How Microsoft Access can understand the [ID] is a Bus ID not a Driver ID? but they are in the same query

Please help
    thanks!!

2. Best Answer
    Posted by healdem

"explicitly alias them

SELECT B.ID as Bus_ID, D.ID as DriverID.... From BUS as B, Drivers as D

Access does a heck of a lot under the covers of a form or report.

be careful you don't confuse a control name with an actual column name. usdually Access allocates the same name as the underlying column to a conjtrol (so a control holding the column Drivers_Name will defautl to the same).

however that may not hold in this case as you are suign dlookups... are you using these in a query or in a form/report.

often you do not need to use a dlookup if the data is coming form a query.,.. you can JOIN tabels together

eg say you have the follwoign struture
    table Buses
    ID
    Reg_No

table Drivers
    ID
    First_Name

table BusDrivers
    Bus_ID
    Driver_ID

then in one query
    SELECT B.ID as Bus_driver, B_Reg_no, D.ID as Driver_ID, D.First_Name & " " & D.Last_Name as D.Driver from BusDrivers as BD
    Join Buses as B on BD.Bus_ID = B.ID
    Join Drivers as D on BD.Driver_ID = D.ID"

Provided Answers: 59
    explicitly alias them

SELECT B.ID as Bus_ID, D.ID as DriverID.... From BUS as B, Drivers as D

Access does a heck of a lot under the covers of a form or report.

be careful you don't confuse a control name with an actual column name. usdually Access allocates the same name as the underlying column to a conjtrol (so a control holding the column Drivers_Name will defautl to the same).

however that may not hold in this case as you are suign dlookups... are you using these in a query or in a form/report.

often you do not need to use a dlookup if the data is coming form a query.,.. you can JOIN tabels together

eg say you have the follwoign struture
    table Buses
    ID
    Reg_No

table Drivers
    ID
    First_Name

table BusDrivers
    Bus_ID
    Driver_ID

then in one query
    SELECT B.ID as Bus_driver, B_Reg_no, D.ID as Driver_ID, D.First_Name & " " & D.Last_Name as D.Driver from BusDrivers as BD
    Join Buses as B on BD.Bus_ID = B.ID
    Join Drivers as D on BD.Driver_ID = D.ID
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thank you so much mate!!
    I aliased them and it worked perfect... Hopefully, I will get further help from you.. i am very thankful to you..