Question Unanswered: How to create a db for a shopping portal

I'm new to database and I have got a project for making a shopping portal back-end. The problem is that since the shopping portal will be having many products and for ebery product the subcategory extension will be different . So how should it be implemented . Please give suggestions and links. And I'll be studying dbase till then.

Provided Answers: 59
    first off do a detail requirements definition
    try and capture what is required at preent, what may be required in the future
    design a schema
    apply test data to that schema and see if it mjkeets the use cases / requirements
    ..if not reinfe the schema

a shopping protal is such a vague term.... it depends on what information you need to display, what information the visitors to the site want... there is no point having a fiendishly complex data model if its merely a listing of good for sale with fairly limited or naive search facilities

one thing to be aware of is if your requirments needs to be able to products which are notionally the same aside from colour and or size and or style then the data model can become fiendishly tricky very quickly

a specific product may come in different
    ...designs
    ...different colours
    ...different sizes
    ...different styles
    the outlet may sell mens shirts
    it may have several different designs for a shirt.... ok so that part is realtively easy each design is a different instance of a shirt, its a different product within the mens shirt poroduct types
    but each design of shirt may come in one or more colours / colour combinations
    and each design and each colour combination may come in different sizes
    and each design and each colour as size combiantion may come in different styles (eg button down collar, no collar, etc...)

if you are ending up actively selling from the database you may need to know what the stock for every combination is, which effectively each permutation is a distinct product.

sizing is not consistent, ferisntance shoe sizes are different, confusingly the UK and the US use similar codes but actually map to different physical sizes. this also applies to generics such as S (small), M(Medium) etc... as US XL may not be the same as a European XL

so start at the beginning of the process and try to establish what you need to cover, what you need to store, what you need to present to the consumer(s) of the data
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton