Unanswered: [HELP] Creating Small Event/Member DB

Hi All,

I am trying to create a small member-event database for a friend. It will include Member, Submembers, Event. Each Member can have 3 Submembers linked to it. I want to be able to to link Member and Submembers together.

E.G. I Query the db for a name of a member submember or game

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nOrOkZg.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	12.9 KB 
ID:	16743

I'm come up with a basic design but I'm having trouble deciding what columns fields are related. Any help would be appreciated.

MemberID
    Member 123456789
    Name John Smith

SubmemberID
    Submember1 123456788
    Submember2 123456787
    Submember3 123456786

EventID
    EventName Saturday Show
    EventPurchased
    Last edited by t2t; 01-28-16 at 06:17.

Provided Answers: 59
    look at normalisation

whenever you see repeating data normalise the table
    whenever you see what looks like the same column but with a suffix/prefix thats usually a sign if a potentail problem (probably the most common exception to this is something like address, where address1,2....n are legit). why limit your design to an arbitrary limit of 3?

look at self referencing tables
    ferisntance it may make sense to have a table for persons(members), and in that have a mechansim that allows you to define a 'parent' member, look at sub categories. alternatively use a sub table to associate a specific member with another. effectively its a junction / intersection table. look at junction / intersection tables. Or your sub mkemkber table needs to define who the 'sub' member is, their name and who is the 'parent' memebr

if this is an ongoing real system as opposed to say coursework then you'd probably want to add a table for events, a table for tickets/prices a table for purchases by a member

if someone is a memkber then that usually infers they pay a membership fee, that measn a table for membership codes...
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Yes it will be ongoing. At the moment we're just doing it in excel and have about 15 events with about 40 members & submembers in total so as you can imagine its quite tedius not being able to quickly lookup this data. Each member has a 10 digit ID number. Just knowing who has purchased for which event should be sufficient enough, No address or anything. How should i deal with setting up a relationship between submembers with members and also linking the game and also what was purchased?

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    look at normalisation

whenever you see repeating data normalise the table
    whenever you see what looks like the same column but with a suffix/prefix thats usually a sign if a potentail problem (probably the most common exception to this is something like address, where address1,2....n are legit). why limit your design to an arbitrary limit of 3?

look at self referencing tables
    ferisntance it may make sense to have a table for persons(members), and in that have a mechansim that allows you to define a 'parent' member, look at sub categories. alternatively use a sub table to associate a specific member with another. effectively its a junction / intersection table. look at junction / intersection tables. Or your sub mkemkber table needs to define who the 'sub' member is, their name and who is the 'parent' memebr

if this is an ongoing real system as opposed to say coursework then you'd probably want to add a table for events, a table for tickets/prices a table for purchases by a member

if someone is a memkber then that usually infers they pay a membership fee, that measn a table for membership codes...