Thumbs up Unanswered: .RDB Database at Maximum Capacity: Options for the future?

Hello,

I was very happy to stumble across this community. My background is a Cisco network administrator with intermediate Python and Linux scripting abilities. I am looking to shift my focus to databases. The organization I work for uses a software program called Resumate to store a database of resumes for human resources purposes. The program interface looks as follows, and the data is stored in .RDB format:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	resumate.png 
Views:	8 
Size:	152.4 KB 
ID:	16748

From my understanding, this .RDB database is an Access database. We have three separate databases in use, but the main issue we are experiencing is that our primary database has reached maximum capacity (1GB). The secondary issue we have is the time it takes to process the more complex searches from client machines -- the .RDB files are hosted on our network file server, and the larger database files are getting to the point that there is a 50/50 chance of the Resumate client crashing before finishing a query.

What I would ideally like to do is combine all of our databases and build a web or application GUI with a similar layout and functionality as Resumate. Being a novice, this will undoubtedly be an ongoing process, but any suggestions into which database solution would offer us optimum performance and ease of configuration will be greatly appreciated. I was thinking MySQL might be a good option but I am not sure. Also, what would be the easiest way to mimic the Resumate GUI for this purpose?

Thanks for the advice and suggestions!!

Provided Answers: 19
    Maximum file size for Access databases has been 2 GB since 2000 (maybe even earlier...can't remember) and .RDB has never been an Access file extension!

Developing a similar GUI is certainly possible, using Access, and while I've never done this kind of thing, I'm sure someone here can give you help in importing/accessing your data into an Access database.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Provided Answers: 59
    I would suggest you contact Resumate themselves to sort out your immediate issues

As regards Access and its 2Gb limit, that is purely when using the default file server db JET, you can use Access to connect to client server db's which have multi Tb upper file limits

Its possible that the application Resumate is re packaging a JET db, or more likely a copy of SQL server Express or similar. Judging by the icons and imagery used, and the fact its Windows only I suspect it is/was written in a Microsoft development environment, whether .NET or something that predates .NET

looking at their error messages it does indeed look like they are repackaging a JET db
    https://resumate.com/support-downloa...rror-messages/

I take it you are following the recommended regualr comapct and repair instructions
    https://resumate.com/support-downloads/
    https://resumate.com/support-downloads/compact-repair/
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    I take it you are following the recommended regualr comapct and repair instructions
    https://resumate.com/support-downloads/
    https://resumate.com/support-downloads/compact-repair/
    Correct, we run the compact and repair regularly. We have also had to go through and export candidates from time to time and import them into a separate database when the file reaches maximum capacity.

The ultimate goal was to have everything searchable in a single database (with plenty of room for new entries) with improved performance on the speed of processing queries. I'm willing to study and learn the technologies I would need to do this, just not sure which route (Access, SQL, Oracle, .NET;C#, Visual Basic) would be the best approach to achieve the goals with the least amount of experience.

Provided Answers: 59
    If you are happy with Resumate, and the company is used to using it then unkess you have got a seriously good reason to change I wouldn't. Id be especially wary if you were rolling your own software, unless it gives you a serious competitive advantage in the organisation.

Given that you are unsure of the details I would suggest you think long and hard about whether rolling your own version is sensible, in both financial and development effort.

I would go back to the vendor and see what they suggest or recommend. if at the end of that process you need to dump Resumate then start a process to find the best way forward.

...just a thought. if Resumate is using a JET database then Id suggest trying to open the file inside Access and see if you can view the schema. See if one of the documentation tools can see the data. Visio can open JET files.

you may need to copy the RDB file and rename it MDB
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton