Unanswered: PCC can't find a MKD files

PCC has been successfully installed and the DEMODATA database that comes along with it can be accessed and its tables viewed as well. I have DDF and MKD files from another database PCC can't see the underlying tables. The procedures related to ODBC configuration were made and tested successfully.
    Could you please see the attached file so as to tell me the mistake I have probably done?

Thanks in advance
    Paulo G๓es
    Attached Files Attached Files

Provided Answers: 4
    There are two possibilities. First, it's possible the DDFs don't have any tables defined in them. Second, it's possible the database was created incorrectly.
    A few questions:
    - Where did the DDFs come from? Did you create them or did they come from a third party app vendor?
    - Are the DDFs and MKD files in the same directory?
    - Have you used these DDFs/MKD files from another system?
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by mirtheil View Post
    There are two possibilities.
    First, it's possible the DDFs don't have any tables defined in them.
    I think you've guessed it right, mirtheil. Take a look at the JPEG files I've attached in this reply. The first one (proemp.JPG) shows the X$File (under System Objects/Tables) of the PROEMP database. There is nothing but DDF files there in, while in the second one (demodata tables.JPG) shows the System Objects/Tables/X$File of the DEMODATA database with records not only related to the DDF files, but also to its tables .

Second, it's possible the database was created incorrectly.
    I can't figure it out, but based on the evidences I've attached, it's quite possible that this is the case. What is your opinion about it?

A few questions:
    - Where did the DDFs come from? Did you create them or did they come from a third party app vendor?
    They come from a third party client. He wanted me to do a migration from BTrieve to an MS SQL Server. Initially, I could do it using DEMODATA tables to not only an MS SQL Server, but to an EXCEL Spredsheat, as well. It made me think that it was just a matter of replicating the same procedure as I did to DEMODATA tables. Unfontunately, I've come across with this issue and don't know how to solve it.

- Are the DDFs and MKD files in the same directory?
    Yes, they are

- Have you used these DDFs/MKD files from another system?
    They've sent me a RAR file with the MKD and DDF files, so I extrated them on my system and since then, I've been trying to overcome this issue.
    What is the best approach to solve this issue, since the MKD files are in the same directory of DDF files? Is there any way of update X$File so as make PCC can see the tables?

Thanks in advance, mirheil
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails proemp.JPG   demodata tables.JPG  

First thing I would check would be the DDFs. Here are the steps I would take:
    1. Extract the DDFs / MKDs from the RAR file to a new empty directory.
    2. Open the newly extracted FILE.DDF in Function Executor.
    3. Once it's opened, read through the records until you get a status 9 (end of file).
    4. You will have at least 3 entries for DDFs (X$FILE, X$FIELD, and X$INDEX). What else do you have? If you don't have any tables other than X$ tables, then the DDFs will never work and you'll need new DDFs.
    Mirtheil Software

Quote Originally Posted by mirtheil View Post
    First thing I would check would be the DDFs. Here are the steps I would take:
    1. Extract the DDFs / MKDs from the RAR file to a new empty directory.
    2. Open the newly extracted FILE.DDF in Function Executor.
    3. Once it's opened, read through the records until you get a status 9 (end of file).
    4. You will have at least 3 entries for DDFs (X$FILE, X$FIELD, and X$INDEX). What else do you have? If you don't have any tables other than X$ tables, then the DDFs will never work and you'll need new DDFs.

Bellow are the results I've got while reading through FILE.DDF records

1. The entries related to X$File, X$Field and X$Index are all there in.
    2. All the 26 MKD files (yes, all of them!!!) that are in the newly created directory, according to your recomendation
    3. At the end, I got the status 9, as you can see in my attachment (I just attached one JPG showing an MKD file just to keep the post short)
    In my humble opinion, I think FILE.DDF has all the information PCC needs so as to show the tables, but unfortunately there may be some details that are causing the problem.

Thanks a lot, mirtheil.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails File executor-8.JPG   File executor-27.JPG  

Try these steps:
    1. Close the PCC.
    2. copy the DDFs from the newly extracted location to where you set up the Database overwriting the ones that are there currently.
    3. Start the PCC and try to expand the table list.
    Mirtheil Software

Hi, mirtheil

Meanwhile, I decided to reinstall the PCC and, after that, I realized the mistake I made during the first PCC instalation. I've let checked the check box labeled as Create dictionary files (if they do not exist). Doing so, the original FILE.DDF has been overwritten, and I believe that was the root cause for the problem.
    But, after creating successfully a new database I have to work with, I got stuck by an ODBC configuration issue. The user I'm logged in Windows has administrator rigths and, being so, I'm able to log through PCC in DEMODATA database, but I'm not able to do the same in the newly created database.
    I reviewed many times the documentation (mainly, page 40) and follow its steps strictly, but I didn't succeed.

Thanks in advance
    Attached Files Attached Files

Windows users and Database users are different concepts in Pervasive. Just because you have Administrator rights in WIndows, doesn't mean you'll have rights in the PSQL database.

You need to get the user name and password from the vendor or the person / company you got the DDFs / Datafiles from.

DEMODATA does not have SQL security enabled so you can login without specifying a username / password. If your database displays a login when trying to access tables, you'll need to get that information from the vendor.
    Mirtheil Software

Hi, mirtheil.

Unfortunately, after a lot of effort, trying to get from the third party vendor the needed credentials for accessing the legacy database, they simply ignored me. I'd like to know if it is applicable the solution explained here http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1681851 even for Pervasive Databases with SQL security like the one I am struggling with.

Thanks a lot
    Paulo

If the database has SQL security enabled then any relational (ODBC, OLEDB, ADO.NET, PDAC, JDBC, PCC) interface will require a user name / password.

You might be able to use the Btrieve interface to access the table but you will need to know the exact record structure (Btrieve doesn't use DDFs). It still might not work, the SQL security could be set to block all access through Btrieve interface without an Owner Name.

You should contact the user that sent you the files (if it's not the vendor of the application) and ask for the SQL credentials.
    Mirtheil Software