Provided Answers: 1

Unanswered: Duplicating records into a "holding" table from a form

Hello,

I have a query that shows a list of possible names to mail a letter to. I want the user to be able to select certain names on the form (by using a combo box?) to mail the letters to. Once the user selects the names I would like them to push a button that runs an append query and puts the selected names in a "holding table" until further action is taken. The reason I want to go this route is so that I can update my original query to exclude any records found in the holding table.

I have been searching the internet but need help with figuring out how to approach this.

Thanks,

Provided Answers: 24
    on the forms , put a list box. The list box query pulls all the users and email(?) or postAddress(?).
    select a letter from a combo/list box.
    user selects a person on the list
    click the send button and it sends

DoCmd.SendObject acSendReport, cboRpt, acFormatPDF, lstTO, , , vSubj, vBody

Quote Originally Posted by ranman256 View Post
    on the forms , put a list box. The list box query pulls all the users and email(?) or postAddress(?).
    select a letter from a combo/list box.
    user selects a person on the list
    click the send button and it sends

DoCmd.SendObject acSendReport, cboRpt, acFormatPDF, lstTO, , , vSubj, vBody

Thanks for responding. I have the form in multi item view though because the letter candidates have other important info that helps the user decide if they get a letter. Also 1 person may have multiple records to send 1 letter to. We mail a letter based upon a parcel number someone owns. Somtimes they have multiple parcel numbers that we capture on a letter, and sometimes we exclude one of the parcels. So we would like to see all their records and only select certain ones based upon the data we see. '

Again, thanks for the help.

Provided Answers: 24
    I use a 'picked' table. The user dbl-clicks the items they want from the listbox. The dbl-click runs an append query to tPicked table.
    When done, this table is joined to the data table to pull ONLY those items listed in the tPicked table.

Provided Answers: 8
    My question Why put it into a "holding table" why not set a flag in the table called onhold with a value YES/NO
    hope this help

See clear as mud

StePhan McKillen
    the aim is store once, not store multiple times
    Remember... Optimize 'til you die!
    Progaming environment:
    Access based on my own environment: DAO3.6/A97/A2000/A2003/A2007/A2010
    VB based on my own environment: vb6 sp5
    ASP based on my own environment: 5.6
    VB-NET based on my own environment started 2007
    SQL-2005 based on my own environment started 2008
    MYLE
    YOUR PASSWORD IS JUST LIKE YOUR TOOTHBRUSH DON'T SHARE IT.

Quote Originally Posted by ranman256 View Post
    I use a 'picked' table. The user dbl-clicks the items they want from the listbox. The dbl-click runs an append query to tPicked table.
    When done, this table is joined to the data table to pull ONLY those items listed in the tPicked table.
    Hi,

Thanks for the response, can you provide a little more detail how to run a "picked" table?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by myle View Post
    My question Why put it into a "holding table" why not set a flag in the table called on hold with a value YES/NO
    I was thinking of doing that. But I still want to move records from one table to another, but not always right away. I want to assign data like who pulled the record. As I am typing this I am thinking i could maybe add 2 drop downs... a "on hold" and a "staff initials".

Thx