Interface between MySQL and VB.NET

Hi All,

I will keep this one quick.

It's time to build a complete new DB for my business. Currently running Access with back end on the server and around 20 users. Business is growing so quickly so its time to move on.

Speaking with others and after a post on DB Forums, I have concluded that MY SQL and VB.Net will be a good way to go.

I just want to make sure I am not missing any tricks .........

With Access, building the back end is so simply. Get the logical database model correct, then the attributes, add these tables to Access and connect the relationships. I can do that in My SQL no problem.

Writing the front end with VB.Net seems to be a lot more difficult than with Access, in that in Access I can just add the forms, link to the tables, write queries and reports and add VB code when ever I need. But with VB.Net is seems that I need to code most things. I have a degree in software engineering so that isn't a problem, but I don't like to re-invent the wheel! Are there packages I can down load which will automate a lot of this like Access?

For example, as a test I created four tables and linked up the one to many relationships in mySql. Then I spent a lot of time making the VB.Net front end work. Frankly I could have built the front end with many queries and reports in a fraction of the time that it took in VB.Net.

So:

Am I missing something?
    Or is this the reality when you take away the tools of Access?
    Are there development platforms I can buy which would speed up the building of the front end?

Thanks

Nigel

have you considered retainign the Access front end and use a server back end. whether that server is SQL server/ SQL server Express, MySQL, Maria or something else

the only word fo caution Id have in using a cleint server DB inside Access is that you have to do a lot fo the spadework yourself, use pass through queries to leverage the power of the client server backend. no more using the GUI tools only, you have to do more work yourself. you need to start thinking about where stuff is procesed (at the server or the lcoal machine, you need to think of the network traffic. you may need to think in terms of local temporary copies fo data.

ferinstance when to populate combo/list boxes. arguably if that (semi) static data you can cache such data locally and refresh that cache when opening the db, or periodically, or on demand.
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Thanks for the info.

I had written off using the Access front end, which I would prefer as I know it very well, because I thought Access continually chatted to the back end and I have an satellite office which also uses the back end via a VPN. But I think I may re-look at that as the develop time will be shortened.

By the way, I'd rather be riding my 1992 Harley Fatboy, but then again, still a bit cold for my knackered fingers after 30 years of riding!

Lightbulb

Once your new projected has loaded you should have an empty module.The first thing we need to do is add a reference to the MySql assembly. Click the Project from the menu and then select Add Reference. Under the .Net tab, browse for the MySQL.Data assembly.Now that the reference has been added, we need to use the Imports directive to import the
    MySql.Data.MySqlClient namespace.