Provided Answers: 1

Answered: Updating Split DB: My user doesn't see changes in my new form in shared folder

I recently started working at a new department, which has an MS Access 2007-2010 DB split into forms/frontend and db/backend.

Yesterday, I made changes to the front end and replaced the file into a shared folder, renaming the new version.

My user still doesn't see the new front end -- she sees the old one. She is looking at the same file location that I am looking at.

What could be wrong? What am I missing?

Edited to Add: Now solved -- she was not looking in the same file location, user had a version stored locally that I had not been aware of. Self, welcome to the new job!
    Last edited by ElisaDB; 02-10-16 at 12:54.

2. Best Answer
    Posted by ElisaDB

"solved solved"

solved

solved solved

Provided Answers: 19
    Quote Originally Posted by ElisaDB View Post

Edited to Add: Now solved -- she was not looking in the same file location, user had a version stored locally...
    Which is exactly how it should be...each user has to have a copy of the Front End on their machine! Having multiple users sharing a single Front End, on a network drive, is the sure way to repeated episodes of corruption, speed and timing problems, and all manner of strange, odd and curious behavior!

Being in forced retirement, I spend 8-10 hours a day here and on other Access forums/newsgroups, and over the past ten years have seen literally dozens and dozens of reports of split databases, using links to a single Front End, causing these kinds of problems, as well as massive data loss! The really insidious thing is that this kind of setup can work for extended periods of time before the troubles begin! But once it does, they become chronic, which is to say they occur over and over and over again!

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Thank you! re: split databases

Quote Originally Posted by Missinglinq View Post
    Which is exactly how it should be...each user has to have a copy of the Front End on their machine! Having multiple users sharing a single Front End, on a network drive, is the sure way to repeated episodes of corruption, speed and timing problems, and all manner of strange, odd and curious behavior!

Being in forced retirement, I spend 8-10 hours a day here and on other Access forums/newsgroups, and over the past ten years have seen literally dozens and dozens of reports of split databases, using links to a single Front End, causing these kinds of problems, as well as massive data loss! The really insidious thing is that this kind of setup can work for extended periods of time before the troubles begin! But once it does, they become chronic, which is to say they occur over and over and over again!

Linq ;0)>
    Thanks so much for telling me this. I really inherited this setup, am used to another system altogether, and am still learning. It sounds like I inherited a setup with best practices, even if I'm still learning everything there is to know about it.

Provided Answers: 59
    There is some stuff in the code bank which helps manage user front end distribution
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton