Unanswered: Login Inconsistencies

Good morning, DBForums!

Please forgive me if I use any strange terminology, I'm just starting to learn and use Access.

So here's the situation. The company I work for has an Access 2013 Database used by our Quality Assurance department. They've recently added some new users to the login credentials list of the database for various reasons, myself among them. I'll be taking some classes in Access later, but that's another story.

What's strange is that the database login form (frmlogin) seems to be stalling or something, but only on a few select computers. My own credentials work just fine when I try to log in on one of the QA computers that have been running it the whole time, but when I attempt to login on my own laptop the 'ok' button doesn't seem to do anything at all. No login, no error, no "thinking," no freezing, no alert sound. It just doesn't function. Our production manager is having the exact same issue.

We both have access to the network location, I've checked the client settings to make sure it's set to "share." With my very limited knowledge I'm stumped. Our "IT Department," conveniently located in India, doesn't seem to have any clue either.

I know it's a long shot because I don't have the actual code to post for you all to peruse, but does this sound like a familiar issue to any of you? Any ideas on how to fix this? I have to believe it's some issue with local settings or permissions since the database continues to function normally on other PCs, even with the new user credentials, but I can't for the life of me figure it out.

Provided Answers: 59
    check where the credentials are being stored
    ..is it to a table inside the application
    ..is it in a workgroup (the old style of Access/JET security model)
    ..simple check are you using an ACCDE or ACCDB file extension OR MDB/MDE extension

check the settings of the various machines.. see where they pick up the security credentials from

this sounds to me as if some workstations are not using the same location / method as the others
    it could be you need to start your copy of Access pointing to a specific workgroup file

look for the workgroup security setting, look for a file that ends in mdw in the same directory as the main application file(s)

get down and dirty and open up a copy of the db and see what the code actually should do then you press the OK button
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 19
    In version 2007 and later, when no VBA code executes (which I'm guessing is your problem...you can't know that, of course, because you haven't gotten past the login routine!) the problem is usually that the folder holding the database file hasn’t been designated as a "Trusted" location.

Don't know how Access 2013 is set up, but on the errant machines go to Options and there should be a category named Trust. Click on this and follow the instructions to declare the folder holding the Front End file as Trusted.

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    check where the credentials are being stored
    ..is it to a table inside the application
    ..is it in a workgroup (the old style of Access/JET security model)
    ..simple check are you using an ACCDE or ACCDB file extension OR MDB/MDE extension
    Credentials are in a table inside the database. It's an ACCDB file.

check the settings of the various machines.. see where they pick up the security credentials from

this sounds to me as if some workstations are not using the same location / method as the others
    it could be you need to start your copy of Access pointing to a specific workgroup file

look for the workgroup security setting, look for a file that ends in mdw in the same directory as the main application file(s)
    I can't seem to find any setting or field in Access that points to a workgroup file, nor can I find any .mdw files in the vicinity of the database. It's on a network drive, if that helps. Dunno where a communal workgroup file would be stored if not there. :/

get down and dirty and open up a copy of the db and see what the code actually should do then you press the OK button
    If I can't figure this out I'll have to go hijack another machine and see if I can't convince a manager to let me fiddle around in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Missinglinq View Post
    In version 2007 and later, when no VBA code executes (which I'm guessing is your problem...you can't know that, of course, because you haven't gotten past the login routine!) the problem is usually that the folder holding the database file hasn’t been designated as a "Trusted" location.

Don't know how Access 2013 is set up, but on the errant machines go to Options and there should be a category named Trust. Click on this and follow the instructions to declare the folder holding the Front End file as Trusted.
    I was so hoping it'd be as simple as that. Set the folder of the front-end to trusted, as well as all sub-folders containing the back-end files, just in case. No luck. Thanks for the advice, though.

Apologies again for my lack of experience, I do appreciate the attempts at blind assistance. Wish I could do more from my end. :/

Provided Answers: 59
    curses I was hoping tht Missinglinq's VBA suggestion would have cured it.

if its an ACCDB then it doesn't use workgroup security, so dont' sweat the absence of the MDW file

I think your only realisitc choice is to open (a copy) of the ACCDB and follow the code. As its multiuser Im guessing (and hoping) the data is in a separate backend. it could be that you dont' have permissions to read write to that backend. it could be that the tables need relinking/re assocaiting from within the Access app
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Provided Answers: 19
    When Access apps run fine on one machine and not on another, another thing to think about is a missing reference.

If you haven't checked for this kind of thing before, here is a link to Doug Steele's detailed instructions on how to troubleshoot the problem:

Click Here: Access Reference Problems

Linq ;0)>
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007