Believe it or not, I started using Superbase (relational, programmable database) on an Atari 1040 ST in the 1980's. It was ported over to Windows 3.0 when I started using that, and I've been using it ever since to run my small business on.

Were it not for the fact that I can't run it on 64 bit Windows, I'd probably keep using it. I'm not a full-time programmer, but can get by in BASIC-like stuff. It's so fantastic to be able to open a programming window and change how the whole thing works on the fly. It has DDE, COM control, GUI creation/editing tools, is ridiculously small and fast, etc. etc.

Now I find I'm doing too much to keep it running (Oracle Virtual Box 32 bit machines on a 64 bit machine) and do wish it accommodated more than 8 + 3 character filenames

Would anyone be so kind as to recommend something to move to? It's probably just a bit too much of its own BASIC vernacular to import the programs as is. That's a drag. It will export the actual database files in DBase II, III and IV, ASCII delim, DIF, Excel, Lotus and Logistix. I'm afraid I don't have a lot of time to re-do either.

Access? Filemaker? Open source?

TIA for any guidance.

Cheers.
John