Unanswered: Database Size - Attachements - Speed

Hi All

My Database is almost 600mb and it's getting bigger and bigger. The problem is that I have to scan documents and attach it to the "student" for example a written warning.
    It seems to me I started wrong by using the attachment manager.

To test I created a very small database, Size 60kb
    When I attached a pdf file (173Kb) the DB size increased to 225Kb
    When I add the pdf file by means of "File storage field" the DB size increased to 226kb
    When I add the pdf file by means of "URL" the DB size increased ONLY by 1kb to 61kb

So if I am correct and want you to tell me if I'm wrong, rather use URL to link/attached files in order to keep your DB small and fast.

The only problem that I have with this is with the attachment manager it's easy to see all attached files in one window.
    My question is: Is it possible by using URL to manage your attachments easy. Can we create a window with the attach files?

Hope I explained correctly
    Hennie

Hi,

I write in the quote.

Hi All

My Database is almost 600mb and it's getting bigger and bigger. The problem is that I have to scan documents and attach it to the "student" for example a written warning.
    ..bigger, slower and if on a shared network folder at some unexpected point unreliable - hope you use the server function...

It seems to me I started wrong by using the attachment manager.

To test I created a very small database, Size 60kb
    When I attached a pdf file (173Kb) the DB size increased to 225Kb
    ...correct...
    When I add the pdf file by means of "File storage field" the DB size increased to 226kb
    ...also correct - seems to add a folder information...
    When I add the pdf file by means of "URL" the DB size increased ONLY by 1kb to 61kb
    ...it stores only the URL link ...

So if I am correct and want you to tell me if I'm wrong, rather use URL to link/attached files in order to keep your DB small and fast.

The only problem that I have with this is with the attachment manager it's easy to see all attached files in one window.
    My question is: Is it possible by using URL to manage your attachments easy. Can we create a window with the attach files?
    ...i have tried to do it, but it was not as expected. storing on an external url can cause problem if the url server gets another ip etc. at this point i would not use it - mostly because i prefer to have everything directly "on board" and not needed to take care about additional external sources. ...

Hope I explained correctly
    Hennie

BRGDS
    Lostdb

It is not a good practice to store attachments in the database.Further instead of using straight URL make a setting form so that when you add the file it should copy the file and store it in a defined folder in the server and its link is stored as a URL in the database. In this way whenever you move the database simply copy the folder which has all the attachments which will slove all link related isues. .

Thank you very much