Unanswered: Adding a record to multiple forms?

Hi Brilliant Users,

I've got 4 forms. 3 of them are related with 1 form (main form) with auto ID field.
    I thought that when I added a new record in the main form (or any other related form),
    a new record would automatically be created in the other 3 forms. Well, I thought wrong :-)

Question(s):

1. Has BDB got an automatic mechanism (function) for adding a record on multiple forms
    when clicking on the "add record" button in the toolbar?

2. Or is it only possible with scripting (add record command)?

Can some Briliant User give me some insight in this matter?

Thank you for the effort.

Jerry (not so) Brilliant User

Provided Answers: 2
    Hi Jerry
    I have not used BD for many months but in general you should be able to do something with scripting. With a button to create your main record, select then create other new related records in same script and ideally transfer main record no to a field in related.The new record action with it's options needs to be explored (same type, related, select or just create , create variable etc). I would use a global variable to hold a key value that can be inserted in related records to assist matching if required. The other action that might be useful if "change related field".
    This is assuming I have a general idea of what you have in mind.
    Just a few thoughts
    David

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply. Your assumption is correct.The procedure you describe, I alredy explored. And your procedure is correct. But
    wouldn,t you think that a basic function (concept) of databases would be a standard implementation in BDB?

I have one form with customer data (name, address, etc.). On a second form I have financial/bank statements belonging
    to the (record in the) f1rst form. On contact form --> auto ID numbering field. On the finance form --> simple related field to auto ID
    and related lookup field with name customer..
    So the dbase should know that the 2nd form holds values belonging to the 1st form. And so does the end-user too.
    Because I have 8 sheets on the contact form, I cannot place the financial form there also (otherwise would this be
    the simplest solution (one form/table containing all forms for diffrent recordtype))
    So if you create a record in the contact form to input a new customer, a new record should also be created
    in the financial form. And this is my problem. I don't want the end-user to have to create a new record in
    different forms. and manually link them to the main form (via ID field).

If you create a (contact) form in designer and you create a 2nd form, BDB asks you if the 2nd form should be
    related to the first form (as BDB only sees the first form at that point obviously).
    Different options to relate the forms are offered by BDB. I tried them all but none of the options do what I want.

I would use a global variable to hold a key value that can be inserted in related records to assist matching if required. The other action that might be useful if "change related field". This sounds interesting David. Could you give me an example?

Again thanks for taking your time.

Jerry