Unanswered: Setting up a listener for sql server alwayson av groups without AD rights

Is there a way to create a sql server alwayson listener in an active directory (AD) environment where I don’t have create computer object rights? The AD admin created a computername for me. Is there a way to connect it to the Listener? The following TSQL fails because I don’t have create objects rights in the AD.

Code:
    USE [master]
    GO
    ALTER AVAILABILITY GROUP [VG-AdventureWorks2014]
    ADD LISTENER N'DNSCOMPUTERNAME' (
    WITH IP
    ((N'XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX', N'255.XXX.XXX.XX')
    )
    , PORT=1431);
    GO
    Company policy does not allow AD rights for the DBA.

Workaround for creating a alwayson listener without AD rights

The only workaround we found is as follows.

1. Setup AlwaysOn Availability Group (VG-AdventureWorks2014), skip listener creation in the wizard or T-SQL.
    2. Go to cluster manager , create “client access point”.
    3. Enter the computer name and static IP created by your network and active directory administrator.
    4. The “client access point” (VG-AdventureWorks2014_Listener1) will appear offline and the IP will appear online. Now ask your active directory administrator to edit the “client access point” and change the status to online.
    5. After both resources (client access point and IP) are online. Associate them with your availability group resource.
    6. Now if you query: sys.availability_group_listeners on your sql server – you should see the listener
    7. You still cannot use the listener. You need to go back to run T-SQL to assign port. I use 1433 (the default SQL listening port).

Code:
          USE [master] 
           GO 
           ALTER AVAILABILITY GROUP [VG-AdventureWorks2014]
           MODIFY LISTENER 'VG-AdventureWorks2014_Listener1'
           (port = 1433)
           GO
    8. Now connecting to the listeners you created, it should bring you to the correct instance which host the availability group primary replica.

Ideas for this workaround came from a Microsoft Blog by Qiang Wang.
    Last edited by r0tt; 03-28-16 at 06:35.