Unanswered: Browse for image and view

I am working with Access 2016. I am designing a data base to store information regarding Photographs. I cannot attach the photos to the Data File because I an talking about thousands of Photos going from the late 1800's to the present. I want to include a button in my Data Entry form that will allow the user to browse the hard drive and go to the folder where the scanned photos are stored and place it on view. When I close go to a new record or close the form I need to be able to save the image back to the hard drive into a new folder and name the file whatever the Photo number is that has been allocated to the photo. I therefore need to tell access to look at the field containing the Photo Number

In the search record form I need to put an extra command in the Search Record button so that as well as opening the record it will also open the Photo and close it when a new search is requested or when the form is closed.

I need to make this as simple to use as possible as some of the people entering data will have little or not computer experience.

Provided Answers: 59
    traditionally in an Access db you interact with the user through forms. so what you coudl do is
    ..if you have thousands of photo's then you are probably best to store the URL in the DB not the actual image
    ..store the URL to the image inside the db
    ...place an image control in a form, load the image as required.
    ...because the iamges are stored outside the db you need to be aware that the image may get deleted, edited or otherwise mangles. So I'd always recommend that you have a default image that you knwo where it is so the code alwasy works. attempt to load an image in the forms on current event (and whenever the URL changes) that attempts to laod. if it faisl then load the 'image not found' picture.
    build your search terms as an intersection table ( say using soem form of other tale to store term types and or terms so that you coerce the same spelling, same words. ferinstance confusions between the various falvours of English, ranging from English English, to dialects within the UK. this can manifest itsefl in things such as tersm for objects (car boot/trunk, bonnet/hood) etc..)

but then again there's lots of people out ther who have trodden down this road before
    ..if you have thousands of photo's then you are probably best to store the URL in the DB not the actual image

Im not too certain what you mean by
    When I close go to a new record or close the form I need to be able to save the image back to the hard drive into a new folder and name the file whatever the Photo number is that has been allocated to the photo.
    personally I'd use the filename as per the scanner. then perhaps rename the file in the OS/file explorer (having picked the most suitable/ best image(s)) you probably could rename using the fiule dialog or a VBS/filescripting dialog.
    don't be tempted to try and allocate an autonumber PK generated in Access to name the file. that way is potentiallly fraught with problems
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

healdem:6642014

Quote Originally Posted by healdem View Post
    traditionally in an Access db you interact with the user through forms. so what you coudl do is
    ..store the URL to the image inside the db
    ...place an image control in a form, load the image as required.
    ...because the iamges are stored outside the db you need to be aware that the image may get deleted, edited or otherwise mangles. So I'd always recommend that you have a default image that you knwo where it is so the code alwasy works. attempt to load an image in the forms on current event (and whenever the URL changes) that attempts to laod. if it faisl then load the 'image not found' picture.
    build your search terms as an intersection table ( say using soem form of other tale to store term types and or terms so that you coerce the same spelling, same words. ferinstance confusions between the various falvours of English, ranging from English English, to dialects within the UK. this can manifest itsefl in things such as tersm for objects (car boot/trunk, bonnet/hood) etc..)

but then again there's lots of people out ther who have trodden down this road before

Im not too certain what you mean by

personally I'd use the filename as per the scanner. then perhaps rename the file in the OS/file explorer (having picked the most suitable/ best image(s)) you probably could rename using the fiule dialog or a VBS/filescripting dialog.
    don't be tempted to try and allocate an autonumber PK generated in Access to name the file. that way is potentiallly fraught with problems
    My problem is that even though I can use Access I am not familiar with vba or macro language. Also the people doing the input may not have computer skills so I need to make it as easy as possible for them. The people doing the scanning may not be skilled enough to know how to rename the scan file . What the director wants is for whoever is entering the data (this once again may be a person with little or no computer skills) to be able to go to the folder where the scans have been saved and select the Photo. After the data is entered and the Photo has a number allocated then it needs to be saved to a folder from which the Search form can call it up by the photo number. I really need the actual format of the macro to do this. The people looking up the information on the photos may also have little or no computer skills. The Data Base is for a Local History Museum and most of the workers are volunteers so we are not sure from day to day who we will have to do the work. This means that the Data Base needs to be very user friendly an use buttons in the screen. Is it possible to have a button on the screen which gives them a box in which to type the photo number and then saves it to the new Master File.